COCHIN ROOSTER DOESN'T ROOST..ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Nov 24, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    ISSUE? I EVEN PUT IN A LOWER ROOST..I SAT HIM ON IT AND ABOUT 30 SECONDS LATER...HE FELL OFF. THE LOWEST ONE IS A FOOT OFF OF THE COOP FLOOR. HE IS A BIG ROO!! ANY SUGGESTIONS? [​IMG]

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    How old is your cochin roo? It took soooo long for several of our breeds to get the idea that they were supposed to use the roosting rods. Are your roosting rods made out of dowel rods or 2x4's? Maybe he just needs more "instruction" like you were doing in trying to teach him what to do. Then again, I'm no expert (only had our chickens since beginning of June), so maybe someone else has better ideas than I do. [​IMG]

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    My Bantam Cochin has NEVER been off the ground.... when everyone else goes to roost, he digs out a little spot by the door and settles in for the night.

4. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Quote:That is what he will do. He's 7-8 months old. He sits right by the door..I am afraid a coon is going to get him through the chicken wire. He is the biggest rooster I have ever seen. He feels like he weighs a good 20 lbs. I thought maybe he was just to big to get on the roost. He can barely run with all of the feathers on his legs. Have you tried to put yours on the roost? DJ

5. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Nope...... I have roosts as low to the ground as 8 inches (where my Silkies roost) and he has no interest. Now, my Bantam Cochin hens DO roost, and up top with the big chickens...... so I don't know if it is a breed, feather, sex or personalty thing... or some combo of them, but he's content, usually even one of the first to settle in at night.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  6. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    This is my first set of cochins. I truly love them. I hope they give me lots of babies. Do you have trouble with your breeding because of the feathers?

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I couldn't tell you for sure as I have not hatched any yet and have only had a few eggs laid before molting began. However..... I have seen him with his girls, and I know he runs the other males off.... and the eggs have been fertile.... but I cannot say for sure they are his [​IMG] But clearly the girls are doing fine as their eggs were fertile [​IMG] You can trim their feathers back if you have concerns.

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hi, I a not trying to scare you but make sure that he is phisicly fit and healthy.
    I lost two hens last month and the first sighn was that they could not jump to the roost.
    At first ws the first hen,so I took her to a seperate area byherself, she did not make it andthen a week later wa the other one, I even took her to the vet and he told me that she was never fully develpoed for some odd reason he does not know.

I wish you the best luck.

9. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    My small bantam cochin roo won't roost either, not that he falls, he just doesn't. All 11 hens do though.

10. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My RIR rooster will not go in the coop wit his hens but sleeps on a log right beside the coop.I think he's too big to get in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by