1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Rooster. Is that a good choice?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alphagamchick, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    We are just starting our flock and wanted to have one really nice good tempered rooster. I have my eye on a big beautiful blue cochin. Would he make a good "king" of the flock? Had a New Hampshire as a kid - mean as all get out. We had to arm ourselves with a broom. Don't want to go through that again if I can help it. Any other suggestions for a "nice" rooster.

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!

I have a blue splash (bantam) cochin rooster and he is great! His name is piccolino and he is beautiful. friendly, "tame as a dead sheep" and treats his girls very nicely. He is very quiet considering he is a rooster and that's a good thing since I live in the village. Even though my rooster is a bantam I have found the wonderful cochin personality to be present in both sizes. I would highly reccommend cochins for any backyarder... even a rooster!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A rooster's temperment depends on several factors and has a lot to do with the way they are raised and handled. Cochins are kind of like labrador retrievers though... they have a tendency to be well behaved, friendly and just plain wonderful.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, I have a half blue laced Cochin (other half is blue laced red wyandotte) and he is a darling. Very gentle and good with the hens. His father, he was a beauty! Very docile. Try one out!

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    And then there's Mr. Stampy Feet. He got that name for a reason, whenever I come close when he's in his pen his feet are going a hundred miles an hour stamping. You can't see them but all those feathers giggling let you know what he's doing. He even tried to flog me one day, dumb bird. He's got so much poof he has less than a zero chance of accomplishing that feat.

But out of his pen, wandering around while I'm feeding he's such a good boy. Doesn't bother the girls or their chicks. He'll go up to the pens of the other roos and bump chests, get bored and go find something else to explore.

5. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    Yes, the blue roo is a beauty. I also contemplated a black cochin. I had banty cochins as a kid and they were sweet but I still have a bad taste in my mouth about our New Hampshire, "Kojack" who attacked. He was a biggy so I want to be sure that our standard roo is one who hopefully, because of breed, will have a better chance of having some manners. I just read last week that New Hamp roos can be aggressive. That was 30 years ago and we laugh and tell stories about it now but I have young children and I don't want them to become victims.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Picco..what a beautifull boy you have there!! My Roos are pretty much " plane jane" But very friendly..RIR/mix. Guess we got lucky...so far..they are only one year olds.....who knows whats in store for the upcoming years? Maybe a pot is in thier future.. [​IMG]..time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by