Cochin rooster

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Crazy_chicka99, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Crazy_chicka99

Crazy_chicka99 In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new here but this spring I was thinking about maybe hatching my own chicks with a broody Easter egger. I was wondering what breed would be best to cross him with and if I could raise the cockerels for meat?
    Hens I have:
    Rhode Island Red
    White Leghorn
    Buff Orphington
    Easter Eggers
    Barred Plymouth Rock
    Black Rock

2 Cochin Cocks

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMO, it won't matter since any mating will be a barnyard mix. Any cockerel can be raised for meat. I've eaten more than my fair share of leghorn cockerels.

3. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    These hen are not in the best shape, I would suggest putting fresh bedding down and cleaning the coop. Do they have a run?

4. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Check for lice and mites, your buff hen looks sick.

5. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Check for bumble foot.

6. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    X2
    Offspring will be barnyard mixes
    And any cockerel can be raised for meat.
    Welcome to BYC :)

7. No More Empty Nest

No More Empty Nest Songster

Mar 15, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC. I'm not well versed in breeding chickens, I only have a few in a backyard coop. You'll find on the whole that people are friendly and helpful here. :)

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    @Crazy_chicka99 , I would like to apologize for the bad welcome you have had here. The behavior you encountered is not something we expect of our members. We hope you will give BYC another chance to show you what we are about. There will be no more squabbling here. This thread has been cleaned up. Please show newcomers the welcome you would like and give the assistance without judgement you would get the most help from in like circumstances.

9. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

Many warm welcomes to BYC, @Crazy_chicka99 ! :welcome So happy you decided to join this wonderful community. :celebrate

Crosses between every one of those would taste incredible. :) I suppose for quantity of meat, you'd want to to mix your Cochins with the largest breeds.

~Alex

10. shessowitte

shessowitte Songster

Mar 16, 2018
    Missouri
    Welcome to BYC! I’m wondering the same thing as I have a broody wanting to set eggs presently. My roo is a black cochin and we’ve raised several chicks rather randomly. Two whiting true blue and whiting true green crosses, and a welsummer, all with Big Daddy Lou. The males were huge!! The females seemed more cochin like, with splashed feathers. At 4 months, the Red Brothers as we called them weighed 3 to 3.5 pounds dressed. (Not to mention it lowered squabble and tension in the flock) The new ladies have just begun laying small deep olive eggs. We’re shooting for big bodied birds and praying for roos for butchering so thinking cochin/cochin might be good. Or cochin/dk brahma. Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: