Cochin rooster

Crazy_chicka99

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2019
Hello everyone,
I'm new here but this spring I was thinking about maybe hatching my own chicks with a broody Easter egger. I was wondering what breed would be best to cross him with and if I could raise the cockerels for meat?
Hens I have:
Rhode Island Red
White Leghorn
Buff Orphington
Easter Eggers
Barred Plymouth Rock
Black Rock

2 Cochin Cocks

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I'm new here but this spring I was thinking about maybe hatching my own chicks with a broody Easter egger. I was wondering what breed would be best to cross him with and if I could raise the cockerels for meat?
Hens I have:
Rhode Island Red
White Leghorn
Buff Orphington
Easter Eggers
Barred Plymouth Rock
Black Rock
( the three pictured are ones I'm not sure about)

2 Cochin Cocks

View attachment 1676630 View attachment 1676632 View attachment 1676636
These hen are not in the best shape, I would suggest putting fresh bedding down and cleaning the coop. Do they have a run?

Last edited:
@Crazy_chicka99 , I would like to apologize for the bad welcome you have had here. The behavior you encountered is not something we expect of our members. We hope you will give BYC another chance to show you what we are about. There will be no more squabbling here. This thread has been cleaned up. Please show newcomers the welcome you would like and give the assistance without judgement you would get the most help from in like circumstances.

Hello everyone,
Hens I have:
Rhode Island Red
White Leghorn
Buff Orphington
Easter Eggers
Barred Plymouth Rock
Black Rock

2 Cochin Cocks
Welcome to BYC! I’m wondering the same thing as I have a broody wanting to set eggs presently. My roo is a black cochin and we’ve raised several chicks rather randomly. Two whiting true blue and whiting true green crosses, and a welsummer, all with Big Daddy Lou. The males were huge!! The females seemed more cochin like, with splashed feathers. At 4 months, the Red Brothers as we called them weighed 3 to 3.5 pounds dressed. (Not to mention it lowered squabble and tension in the flock) The new ladies have just begun laying small deep olive eggs. We’re shooting for big bodied birds and praying for roos for butchering so thinking cochin/cochin might be good. Or cochin/dk brahma. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom