Cochin roosters with pullets

elaineinspain

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2016
Costa Blanca South, Spain
I am at the beginning of realising my dream of having a small flock (4 birds) to share my life with and my garden. Am toying with the idea of getting Cochin chickens. I've found a breeder who will sell me 4 birds, 6 weeks old, vaccinated, but he will not guarantee that the 4 birds are all females.
My question is this: If a rooster (or two, or even three) come home with me, will they be alright together? I've heard that cochins are laid back, but would they fight over the female? And even if it turns out I have one rooster and the other three are pullets, would they get harassed by the rooster? (over mating I think it's called)
Hope someone here has experience with cochins....

My Cochins (feedstore quality) are gentle giants, and if you're getting standard sizes just know the birds can get around 6-9lbs which is ALOT of feathers! Especially around molting time! I've known some really sweet boys but they're still roosters. All of my roosters end up being in pairs/brothers, and at a certain age they always try to get dominance over each other and the pullets. My silly silkie cockerels fight and they're the silly fluffy idiots who can't see!!

I have a lot of bigger birds in my flock and the only boy I kept long enough to become a year old and officially be a rooster was a TINY little D'Uccle who was the sweetest baby, so I never really had a issue with breeding or over breeding. I know the usual balance is 3-5 hens per rooster, best of luck! If you get the chance I HIGHLY suggest Bantam Cochins vs Standard ones!

My Cochins (feedstore quality) are gentle giants, and if you're getting standard sizes just know the birds can get around 6-9lbs which is ALOT of feathers! Especially around molting time! I've known some really sweet boys but they're still roosters. All of my roosters end up being in pairs/brothers, and at a certain age they always try to get dominance over each other and the pullets. My silly silkie cockerels fight and they're the silly fluffy idiots who can't see!!

I have a lot of bigger birds in my flock and the only boy I kept long enough to become a year old and officially be a rooster was a TINY little D'Uccle who was the sweetest baby, so I never really had a issue with breeding or over breeding. I know the usual balance is 3-5 hens per rooster, best of luck! If you get the chance I HIGHLY suggest Bantam Cochins vs Standard ones!

Thanks Cascadia for your quick reply.

I would probably only buy one race, so only cochins, not have a mixed flock. (can you call 4 birds a flock????
roll.png
)

Back
Top Bottom