1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Roosters?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Haley Brook Chickens, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Haley Brook Chickens

Haley Brook Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Hello ,I am new to your group. I have 20 cochin chickens I have raised from 1 day old till now (2 and half months). I was wondering how to pick out the roosters? I have blue,black and white cochins. I will post some picks as soon as I figure it out. I haven't had any trouble with any of the other breeds I have,buff orpightons,barred rocks.I am at a stand still trying to pick out the cochin roosters. I have a chance to trade my cochin roosters for rhode island red hens!

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! I'm not sure on sexing chickens, but am certain someone on the forum will come along. Just post this in the breed section, in your index, near the left hand top of the page. Good luck!

3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Quote:The roosters have bigger combs and wattle and are redder here is my cochin roo at 2 months. Pics will help and welcome[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Haley Brook Chickens

Haley Brook Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Thanks for the help. I will try and get some pics up soon. The blacks and the blues seem easy enough but the white are a bit trickier. The hens comb is pinkish and the roos red,red? Love the site!!

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI. It would be best to post pics of the chickens "in question", preferably in the sections What Breed?Gender...... You will get the best response there. Also....we all like to see chicken pictures!!!!! The more the better.....[​IMG] It's a strange disease.....[​IMG] (and contagious) [​IMG]

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Hope you get the pics up soon!!! [​IMG] from Lutz,FL

8. Brad83

Brad83 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    Bartow, FL
    [​IMG] from Florida!

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    Welcome!

My chickens were a little older than yours when I finally figured out they were male (though I ignored the fact that one was crowing). I read on the forums that the males had longer, thinner feathers on their necks and saddle feathers that were pointed. The females are more rounded. Of course, I had to look up saddle feathers. Luckily BYC has everything we need. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-anatomy.html

My smallest chicken is an araucana mix and doesn't crow, doesn't have a big comb or wattle, and wasn't too aggressive until recently. So we all held out hope that "she" would start laying eggs eventually. The pointy feathers were right. "She" is a "he".

I hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by