COCHIN ROOSTERS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pokey, Jul 12, 2008.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    at what age do cochin roosters start to crow? i have some that are about 2 months old that i am pretty sure are roos, but aren't crowing yet. could be wrong, but i think the odds are against hatching all pullets

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My father-in-laws white cochin started crowing a few days ago at 15 1/2 weeks old.

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

With cochins you can usually tell by looking at them if they are male or female by the time they are 2-3 months old. Do you have pictures?

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Out of my 4 grown Cochin roos, only 2 crow at all. I suppose the other 2 figure they don't need to. LOL
    I have several standard Cochin roos that are about 8 weeks old but they haven't crowed yet even though one has his own "flock" already. He thinks he is so macho but no crowing from him. I am thinking he is keeping it piped down so he stays under the radar. It wouldn't do for King to realize another roo has moved in. Unfortunately, Mr Macho is going in the freezer this fall so his hard work is for naught.
    Ernie is my youngest grown roo at 10 months old and I think he likes staying under the radar, too. After all, he is the first to the scene when King says he found good treats.[​IMG]

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I had a female bantam cochin who crowed at 1 month, she quit that now though

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have a black cochin roo that started at 12 weeks, very poorly at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by