Cochin sick?

Eichert87

Chirping
Jan 24, 2018
I have a less than one year old Cochin. She had started to... cough? It was like she was gagging and trying to cough/puke something out by force. She stretched her neck out as she shook her head and made a drawn out coughing sound (lasted about 1-2 seconds). Her eyes also were a bit puffy and bubbly, but clear bubbles and only a few.
I separated her and started treatment with 2/3cc tylan 50 orally and tylan soluble in her water. After the first day she was coughing normally, if you understand my meaning. (It wasn't so dramatic or drawn out.) She also had a phlegmy sound to her when she coughed at this point. Past day 2, no improvement. She did have less puffy eyes and no bubbles. It is now day 13. She never stopped eating, drinking, or pooping normal. All this time, no others have shown any symptoms. What could this be? She did respond to the antibiotics, but... what can I do?
20180224_194556.jpg

Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) is triggered by stress. So reduce stress, maximize nutrition, and be on the watch for any signs of it recurring and treat quickly. That's really all you can do.

She should continue to improve. I would keep up with the Tylan until she is over all the symptoms.

There has been zero improvement in 11 days. She has been in my basement with lots of food the whole time. I am running out of the small amount of tylan I had. Isn't crd incurable? And won't I have to keep her separate for her whole life if she has it?

CRD covers several different viruses. Almost all infect the flock for life. Your other chickens have been exposed, so once this one is over her symptoms, she can go back with the others.

The symptoms you see aren't directly from the virus, but from bacteria that take advantage of a chicken's low resistance during periods of stress. The virus creates this "opportunity". So the symptoms are bacterial and can be contagious. That's why you want to keep her separate until her eyes and breathing clear up, so the other chickens don't come into contact with the bacteria, although they are all likely carrying the virus.

You may also want to try another antibiotic if this one doesn't cause her to improve. The bacteria may be resistant to Tylan.

Back
Top Bottom