Cochin, Silkie and Polish folks from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by bobbyesox, Oct 20, 2011.

1. bobbyesox

bobbyesox Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Northeast Alabama
    Hoping to find people near me to exchange eggs, chickens, etc to make "projects" easier. [​IMG] I'm in Northeast Alabama, near Lake Guntersville. Less than 3 hours from Atlanta, 2 hours from Chattanooga.

2. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Hey there! I might be interested! I have Cochins and Silkies and need to widen my gene pool. What are you looking for exactly? I would LOVE to get my hands on some nice blacks and whites, and perhaps a lavender or two. I have paints, and REALLY want to get another cockerel and maybe a hen. I'm kinda limited on the cochins, and they are hatchery birds, but they are good critters. I mainly have chicks and cockerels that need new homes. I do have a MF Roo that sadly I don't have any hennies for. [​IMG] So either I find him some ladies or he needs to go. He is currently wooing two MF D'uccles I have, but they are in the same boat he is! Either they find a man or they need to go. I haven't had any luck in either area!

Anyway, let me know if you are interested! I'm not terribly close, but my parents live in Huntsville, and I could make a trip home. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. bobbyesox

May 21, 2011
    Northeast Alabama
    Right at the moment I don't have any silkies that could be shown, but I have several "projects" going on...mostly for Partridge, so I have odd grays and some fairly nice colored partridges that just need more "fluff." I'm going to find new homes for some of them....either pet or someone else who likes "projects." Our eggs have completely stopped and the yard is fluffy with feathers. Just as the weather is getting cold. I feel like I ought to be out there knitting sweaters. Especially for the Turkens. (Need any Turkens?)

I'm getting some show Silkies later in the fall (black, white and splash), and I'm sure I won't be able to keep all of them, so will let you know what shows up and what's available. (A friend is moving and I promised to take all the birds and find good homes for the ones I can't keep)

You have Mille Fleur cochins and d'Uccles both? I am interested in them! I have a nice trio of Mille Fleur d'Uccles that I'd like another hen or two for (one of my hens is very dark, the other very light....I'd like middle ground *grin*). And I would LOVE a Mille Fleur cochin roo! I am getting some Mottled babies in 3 weeks, but don't really have anything here at the moment to trade with, but definitely will in the future. What do you want for all the Millies?

Am REALLY tickled at the prospect of having someone that at least comes close to me sometimes. [​IMG] I foresee a beautiful friendship.

Bobbye Hudspeth
    [email protected]
    http://cedarbrook.jigsy.com

4. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Hi Bobbye!

I glanced at your website, your farm looks lovely! I would totally be interested in trading you the MF D'Uccle hennies and the MF Cochin roo for a nice white or black Silkie trio (or just a couple pullets if that seems more fair) when you get them! I'm not planning on coming that way quite yet, but can plan a trip within the next couple of weeks, certainly before Christmas.

I don't have any recent pics of the oddball MF "trio" but here is some when they were a bit younger. The girls have lightened up a tad and the fella has darkened some. I can probably get more pics tomorrow. They are all this year's hatch and are laying and fertilizing. [​IMG] (In fact, I have a handful of their babies too......I set the eggs in my incubator out of curiosity! LOL!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They were handled quite a bit when they were young, I hatched all 3 myself. But my husband and I separated 6 months ago, we've moved out of state, and things kinda got crazy.......so they aren't as sweet as they used to be. But they will probably come back around. The Cochin I hatched from eggs I got from here, I can give you the member's name if you'd like. And the D'Uccles I hatched from eggs I got from a lady where I used to live.

5. bobbyesox

May 21, 2011
    Northeast Alabama
    Just let me know when you'll be planning a trip and I'll meet you anywhere along the way....or in Huntsville. Where are you from?

They're all adorable and they'll fit in just fine. I wonder if breeding the Cochin to a white Cochin would be a step towards the Calico color? I love dabbling with colors....after 30 years of showing dogs, it's so cool to be able to do weird breedings without feeling irresponsible! [​IMG]

Looking foward to meeting you!
    Bobbye

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I have all three of those breeds, all LF. I believe white acts as a masking color, so breed to white, get more white.

7. bobbyesox

May 21, 2011
    Northeast Alabama
    Very cool. I saw a calico cochin at a show a couple of weekends ago and fell in love. Now, I just need a couple of white hens. Square one again. (I stay here a lot).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by