Cochin/silkie sick chicks?

Pics

CloudedLullaby

Chirping
Jul 12, 2019
I had 8 what I was told was silkies. 5 were cochins and 3 were silkies. One died a couple days in. The rest have seemed fine and were growing all their feathers then suddenly after 4 weeks I had 3 die on me.
2 died sleeping. They looked smothered. I had moved them with chicks 3 weeks older and i am guessing that I made a mistake that way.

Rocky, the only one named and my fav, died in my arms at home. I am pretty sure he had a seizure, unless he was kicking around cause I picked him up. He died after spitting up a bunch of clear liquid onto me. He died just like the one did a couple days in.

I got these chicks from a friend who found them online on pennswoods. The person said they were a week old which was impossible cause they still had their egg tooth. And they lied about what they were.

Maybe they were all sick to begin with? Idk. I hope I didnt mess shit up.

They were eating the same exact food but now I am beginning to think the 3 that I moved them in with bullied them into not eating or drinking.

I brought them home immediately. I gave them save a chick electrolyte and probitotics.

Theyre spitting the clear liquid up.

2 cochins and 1 silkie are all puffed up.

Did I **** up?

They ate all their food but barely drank.

All seem way more aware.
But the one pictured only moves if it has too but is way more aware with its head and eyes.

20190810_213924.jpg

I had 8 what I was told was silkies. 5 were cochins and 3 were silkies. One died a couple days in. The rest have seemed fine and were growing all their feathers then suddenly after 4 weeks I had 3 die on me.
2 died sleeping. They looked smothered. I had moved them with chicks 3 weeks older and i am guessing that I made a mistake that way.

Rocky, the only one named and my fav, died in my arms at home. I am pretty sure he had a seizure, unless he was kicking around cause I picked him up. He died after spitting up a bunch of clear liquid onto me. He died just like the one did a couple days in.

I got these chicks from a friend who found them online on pennswoods. The person said they were a week old which was impossible cause they still had their egg tooth. And they lied about what they were.

Maybe they were all sick to begin with? Idk. I hope I didnt mess shit up.

They were eating the same exact food but now I am beginning to think the 3 that I moved them in with bullied them into not eating or drinking.

I brought them home immediately. I gave them save a chick electrolyte and probitotics.

Theyre spitting the clear liquid up.

2 cochins and 1 silkie are all puffed up.

Did I **** up?

They ate all their food but barely drank.

All seem way more aware.
But the one pictured only moves if it has too but is way more aware with its head and eyes.

View attachment 1874469
What does their poop look like ? Are they light or good weight? Do their crops empty overnight?what do you feed them?

What does their poop look like ? Are they light or good weight? Do their crops empty overnight?what do you feed them?

Chick starter crumble. Exactly what they were eating before.
They are empty now. They were empty before.
So I am unsure.
I'll look at their poop now see if can see any.

Water and food after i brought them back.

Food is now different. Is chick starter but different brand and 20 percent

20190810_220756.jpg
20190810_220806.jpg

Chick starter crumble. Exactly what they were eating before.
They are empty now. They were empty before.
So I am unsure.
I'll look at their poop now see if can see any.

Water and food after i brought them back.

Food is now different. Is chick starter but different brand and 20 percent

View attachment 1874481 View attachment 1874482
They could need deworming or if they have bloody poop you could have a cocci outbreak. Corid will be good for cocci. Wazine can be used as a dewormer. Cocci is common is young chicks. Are their vents clear? If they are eating to fast and drinking they may spit up when they are lifted and the crop is pressed. It's very likely they were ill before you got them . They shouldn't be placed with other birds right off. It's best to quarantine for 14 days with new arrivals to check for illnesses.

They could need deworming or if they have bloody poop you could have a cocci outbreak. Corid will be good for cocci. Wazine can be used as a dewormer. Cocci is common is young chicks. Are their vents clear? If they are eating to fast and drinking they may spit up when they are lifted and the crop is pressed. It's very likely they were ill before you got them . They shouldn't be placed with other birds right off. It's best to quarantine for 14 days with new arrivals to check for illnesses.

Had them for 4 weeks before introducing. The other ones were I thought 2 weeks older but I just double checked and they were less then a week older.

Also thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom