Cochin Update blue/black

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Apr 27, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    My little mystery chick from the feed store is starting to feather out. His feathers are still unsure to me. Im thinking he is a black cochin, but could possibly be a very dark blue cause there is a definate blue tent to him. I dunno what do yall think?

[​IMG]

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    My little black pullet looked just like this and I was confused, too. It turned out she has some blue looking feathers on her feet, but she's really a solid coal black all over, save the tips of her longest wing feathers. I suspect those will end up being solid black as she ages, too.

Beautiful bird!

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I'm also questioning his gender too XD I got him out of the "rooster bin" and he still hasn't gotten a redish look to the tiny little comb that he has.

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    My little red cochin (banty, mind you, so could be different than standard) had a comb about like that at that feather stage. The little pullet has barely shown a comb yet! (Digging around for pics....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roo has a pretty obvious *red* to the majority of his obviously male comb now, at 6 weeks, while the pullet's is solidly yellow and hardly there. The roo has good wattles, now, too.

These pics are at least a week old...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    They are so cute [​IMG]

Mine isnt that feathered out yet >.> He is so ugly right now lol

6. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I forgot to mention, I agree with you- I think he's a fella, with a boyish look to his face and beak. Definitely more comb than my girl had.

Are his feathers as soft as they look?

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Yeah he is pretty darn soft. Not as soft as the silkies but still softer then regular chickens XP one of the things I love about cochins.

8. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I nearly got myself divorced yesterday- they had silkies in the bin at Orschlen's and I let my daughters get all the way to checkout line before I came to my senses...14 standard birds and 2 banty cochins in a suburban backyard is enough!!!

I may have to get rid of a couple of other birds and go get the silkies anyway...They won't be grown for a bit!!

9. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    lol the silkies are addicting. I have 4 blues silkies, 4 splash silkies and 6 buff/lav mix silkies. And planning to get more in June when I go to Florida. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by