Cochin versus Wyandotte

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cottagechick, Aug 15, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I am getting some Bantam chicks in a few weeks. I have a variety, but couldn't get all of the breeds I wanted and got some that I wouldn't normally get. I am considering "rehoming" the Quail D'anver and either a White Wyandotte or a Mottled Cochin. They both seem like big fluffy breeds to me...but I haven't actually had either breed. For those of you who have experience with both...what would you say the main differences are. Any drawbacks or advantages to either breed?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Or tell me what you love/hate about your Wyandotte or Cocin

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    i have large fowl cochins and they are the sweetest things ever! [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I love my cochins............very docile, curious, fantastic broodies and mothers, good eaters - slow growers, fair layers and generally very friendly.

I do not have wyandottes.

5. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Thanks for the replies so far. What is the benefit of slow growing?

6. HorseFeatherz NV

I am not sure there are benefits............many people do not like the time it can take for a cochin to mature - large fowl and even bantams can take more than a year. So this means lots of feed [​IMG]

7. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:Makes sense...Does that mean they don't lay until a year old? And what do you consider "fair layer"

8. HorseFeatherz NV

Some do not lay until a year.........depends if you have hatchery birds or breeder/heritage/apa/aba style birds.

Hatchery will lay sooner - my Large Fowl hatchery cochin started laying at 24 weeks and was broody by 27 weeks. My breeder bantam cochins start laying around 30/32 weeks - some went broody within a week of starting to lay.

My LF hatchery lay about 4 eggs a week - they lay two or three and then take a day off. My breeder cochins about 3 eggs a week - about an egg every other day. When they are laying [​IMG]

9. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    We have a couple large and bantam Cochins and they are all so docile!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
  10. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I personally do not like the bantam cochins. For one, they have the feathered feet, just a personal preference they can get scaly leg which is impossible to treat [​IMG]

ETA by impossible I was exaggerating, I meant, "A lot harder than a bird with clean feet" [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by