Cochin - what color and gender?

SpeckledPullet

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Northeast Florida
This is my one and only Cochin chick, so I have no others to compare to. Any ideas on color and gender? This is my friendliest chick and I'd love for a pullet, but have a feeling it's a roo. Comb is coming in quickly, but not a hint of red at all. I cannot tell leg thickness due to the feathers. As for color, I thought it looked splash, but I have had a few people tell me the white and blue feathers will grow back in black after the first moult. Is this true? Edited to add: He/she is 3 weeks old.

47689_3weekcochin1.jpg

47689_3weekcochin2.jpg

47689_3weekcochin3.jpg

47689_3weekcochin4.jpg

47689_3weekcochin5.jpg

Last edited:

ConchRepublic

Looking For My Marbles
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Dunnellon, Fl
It might be a little mottled, don't know if the spots come out with the first feathering or if they show up after. Just got my first one today lol. Though I'm actually leaning more towards black than mottled....

Last edited:

SpeckledPullet

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Northeast Florida
Thank you everyone!

I sadly have no use for him if he is a roo. But, maybe I should keep him around a bit longer, just in case he might be a she? I doubt it, but maybe I'll wait just a tad longer before finding a new home. He is too sweet for me to put into the pot. I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it, so I decided he will find a new home (hopefully as a pet or a breeder).

Last edited:

Top Bottom