Cochin wheezing and coughing... Update :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyForCochins927, Jul 11, 2011.

1. CrazyForCochins927

CrazyForCochins927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    I came home from work today and one of my girls is having problems breathing. For the past 2 weeks or so I have noticed that her breathing was a little more labored, but nothing major. Then today I came home and she was wheezing heavily and coughing/honking every once and a while. It seems like she is suffering... Today has been hot, and I don't know if she was just overheated, but I don't want her to suffer. I will see if I can get a video of her. Any help would be well appreciated.

) What type of bird , age and weight. Standard Cochin, black
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Wheezing, sneezing and somewhat of a honking/coughing?
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? She has been light wheezing for probably 2 weeks now. Today it got worse. (Today is hot here)
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, I have 6 other standard cochins and they are all fine.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nothing that I can see
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Difficult to get her to drink today. Before today eating and drinking seemed normal.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Haven't seen her poop today yet.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Vets don't take chickens around here, so I think it will be up to us.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use pine shavings.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    Ok, I have uploaded a video of her. You probably only need the first minute or so, but I have included the entire thing, in case you need it. Please help! I don't want her to suffer... Has anyone had this happen to their chickens before?

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Ugh.......I have no idea [​IMG]

Two things come to mind watching her......something maybe stuck in her throat (seed, pebble, stick [​IMG] ) and the "cough" is her trying to expell it.

Or I wonder about fluid build up in her lungs or body cavity that maybe pressing on her lungs/organs. She seems to be tilting her head back as she breathes - like when taking a drink of water.

Is her comb pale or is it the video/lighting/monitor?

If she was mine, I would isolate her. Bring her into the house in a dog kennel/crate. This would let me monitor what she is drinking/eating/pooping.

Another thought I just had, was Gapeworm. Have you looked down her throat? (I have not had to deal with it) https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=949035

4. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    oh gosh! this sometimes happens to our australorp! I know its scarey sounding but I feel confident this is not a big deal. she may swallowed something a bit too big for her.

of course, you want to take a look down her throat for a look-see for gape worms. make sure she's taking in water.

keep an eye on her.

5. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    My husband and I just looked down her throat with a flashlight and didn't see anything. I tried to feel where I think her trachea is, but didn't notice any unusual bumps. There was a small bump in her throat, but the rest of the chickens have it too. It is just about a cm or so down from her wattles. She has calmed down a little bit and isn't coughing as much as before, but is still wheezing.

Oh, and a reference to a previous post.. her color looks good. It was just because she was in the entry way with bright sunlight behind her.

6. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    She still hasn't changed too much. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a gape worm infection and just a regular respitory infection? I don't see any worms, but I would like to treat her with something so she doesn't have to suffer.

7. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    We came home tonight and she passed. This is my first bird to die. She will be missed... [​IMG]

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by