1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin with Sour Crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Banana Hen, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Banana Hen

Banana Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2013
    With my flock(s)
    One of my Cochins has a huge crop that hangs down. She has had it for a while, and we fed her yogurt once, I have massaged it and she did not throw up or anything. Is there anything I can do? She is a bantam Cochin, and turned 1 this year. Once I found is hard round thing on her crop, and I pulled it off. Help!

2. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Is she acting sick, eating, pooping, etc?
    Is her crop just very large and she is otherwise fine, or does she have other signs of problems?

I have no idea what the hard thing might be. Can you describe it better, it was on her skin outside of the crop?

We need some more detailed information before we can offer much help. Best wishes!

3. Banana Hen

Nov 15, 2013
    With my flock(s)
    Her crop is large but she is otherwise fine, but she is very thin. She is not acting sick. The hard thing was yellow, and was the size of a nickel. The back, (the side facing the inside of the crop) was brown with an old vain running through it. It stuck out about a centimeter. Is there anything else I should describe?

4. Put raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar in her water. Put her on this diet: 2 scrambled eggs with olive oil and plain, whole milk yogurt twice a day. Separate her from the other chickens, only so she doesn't eat the chicken food. Keep her on this diet for 3 days, and her crop should be empty by the next morning. I have not actually tried this, I may need to though, I have a Easter Egger who might have sour crop. If she has sour crop that is what you should do. You say her crop is hanging down? Is her crop just full? If it's full, this should fix it..
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  5. Banana Hen

Nov 15, 2013
    With my flock(s)
    Thank You so much!!!!!!!! I will try this soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by