Cochin ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Secretlyspotted, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    I have a black Cochin pullet who is about 8 mo old. She is just now starting to show signs of maturity- her comb and wattles are starting to become and nice red color. I'm not too surprised it took her a little longer to develop since we had such a miserable winter. But are Cochins normally slower to develop than other breeds? I know they can be good mothers and are likely to go broody. I do plan on getting her some fertile eggs if that happens (as we are rooster free, Thank God). Any knowledge out there about the frequency Cochins usually lay? I assume not daily, but 3 or 4 eggs a week would be nice.
    Thanks for any information!!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, Cochins are slower to develop, but it is also not unusual for pullets to wait until spring to lay the first egg. The red comb is a good sign. My cochin hens laid about 3-4 per week for a few years. My five year old cochin slowed down as far as laying, but surprised me by laying a few days in a row at times last year, I soon discovered that was her pattern for going broody as she got older - lay extra eggs to sit on.

Just an aside, if you hatch eggs you will get some roosters eventually. That's how I discovered that I really like roosters, although I must admit they do pose some special challenges at times.

3. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    That is good to hear! I really wasn't worried about her "slow" developing. I kinda figured it wasn't any big deal. And I am familiar with the 50/50 roos vs pullets issue in hatching eggs. I wouldn't necessarily mind one kind, well bred rooster, but otherwise they would be going up for sale or to freezer camp. My husband has no desire to keep roos because his mother kept a really mean one when he was a kid. He has awful memories of being chased around his own yard. I have a 4yr old and a 2yr old and they come first!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by