Cochins and Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Felicia, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Hello [​IMG]

I am planning on starting my own breeding program for LF Cochins and for Black Jersey Giants. I am getting three Cochins for Pumpkinpup, and that is going to be the start of my BBS line of LF Cochins [​IMG] Hopefully next spring I will get into the Jersey Giants.

If you could please tell me what I need to be looking for in these breeds, I would greatly appreciate it. I am new to breeding chickens, as of now I only have some as pets, and two (one blue wheaten, and one wheaten) Ameraucanas (that I got from a fellow BYCer) I show in 4-H. When I am looking for foundation stock, what are the key things to look for? What size should they be? I really want to have good foundation stock. If you could post pictures I would greatly appreciate it [​IMG]

Thank you for your time

2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    http://www.cochinsrule.com/

That
    is great website, with tons of Cochin information. When choosing breeder stock, you want the birds to compliment each other. Choose for the best type, then on color. If you are doing a BBS cochin project, pick blue birds with a good color, as well as lacing. I can provide the APA standard when I get home. But browse through that site, should give you an idea as to what they should look like.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I wish they'd update that site. [​IMG]

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Yeah, I found a couple dead links today, which stinks because that was such a good place to direct future cochin breeders. But beings that it is show season, maybe they will update it soon?

5. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks Dustin Biery [​IMG] the website is really helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by