Cochins and laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickens112, Dec 17, 2008.

1. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    How well do cochin hens lay during the summer? Do they lay better then or in the winter? All answers are appreciated Thanks

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Mine layed alright during the summer when they were not broody. nothing this winter yet.

3. CochinLover

CochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Oxnard,CA
    :cdMy girls laid nicely during the summer and even fall. laying at least every other day or two days. They do not usually lay well during the winter. just too cold.

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    ditto, cochinlover. and yes, when they aren't broody [​IMG] , gamebirdsonly

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Mine layed good during the summer and have layed GREAT so far this fall/winter. They were young this summer so I didn't expect much, but they are moving right along now.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    My girls are laying pretty well right now...but I am in a warmer climate. I give them an extra hour or so of light in the evening...nothing major. Out of 7 black hens, I get 3-4 eggs per day. One is trying to be broody right now so I can count her out.

They were molting when I got them, so they weren't laying at all then. Between the change of location and the molt they took about 2 1/2 months to start laying at all. I did start them on 24% rations the first of November and they started laying within 2 weeks....don't know if this is just coincidental or not.

I have a mottled hen that goes broody if anyone even winks at her. It's a struggle to get any eggs from her at times. I have to cover the nesting box and kick her out into the free-range courtyard during the day.

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I really don't have any firsthand experience YET, but I have a little black Cochin mix Bantam (she looks like pure Cochin to me, so she is probably more Cochin than anything else) that is just coming into laying age now. I have been finding her fiddling around in a nest the last few days, so maybe she will start laying soon. Keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck! Genie

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    My cochins are on a roll and have been thru the summer
    and still doing what they are supposed to do.
    Have 2 -125 watt heat lamps in their coop.

9. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Just an update! My little black Cochin layed her first egg today! And I believe it was another of my Cochin mixes (a cute gray one) that also laid her first egg today--they are exactly the same age (we hatched them and they were born on the same day). I also saw the second one inspecting the nests earlier this morning. This is so exciting! Again, good luck! Genie

10. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    they are great layers i get 2 eggs a day every day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by