Cochins and...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Horsefly, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I just got 8 free chickens. Suposedly they are 3 hens and 5 roosters, I had to take them all but all I wanted was the hens. They are suposed to be cochin bantams but when we picked them up one of the "hens" was an EE I think and another didn't have feathers on her legs. So I am wondering what exactly they are and if I am right on genders and breeds and if you could tell quality of any of them. I think I got this guys culls. I'm going to keep all the hens and 1 maybe 2 roosters, which would you pick?
    Here is the "EE" and Rooster #2
    [​IMG]
    Pullet #1
    [​IMG]
    Pullet #2 with clean legs, cute little chicken
    [​IMG]
    Rooster#1 with head of brown rooster #2
    [​IMG]
    Rooster #1 again
    [​IMG]
    Rooster #2, it looks like his whole tail got pulled off
    [​IMG]
    Rooster #3
    [​IMG]
    Rooster #4
    [​IMG]
    I don't seem to have gotten a picture of Rooster #5, I'll take some more pics tomorrow when it is light out. I can take more pictures of a particular bird if needed.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If it were me making the choice, I would put rooster #4 with pullet #1 as a breeding pair. I think they are the best of them.

Then for color variety, leave rooster number two in with the ee pullet.

Your choice where to put the clean legged white pullet.

Got to love that price! Free!!!

3. Horsefly

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    So you think the EE is a girl for sure? Do some Cochins not have feathers on their legs? If she had chicks would they have feathers on their legs?

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:The EE is definitely a girl.

No - ALL cochins have HEAVY feathering on their legs. So, she's not a cochin. I don't think they are SQ, but since I don't breed cochins/etc wait for somebody more knowledgeable to weigh in.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:The EE is definitely a girl.

No - ALL cochins have HEAVY feathering on their legs. So, she's not a cochin. I don't think they are SQ, but since I don't breed cochins/etc wait for somebody more knowledgeable to weigh in.

6. Horsefly

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I fogot to say they are suposed to be 5 months old. Yay for my girl EE, if she had chicks from the Cochin rooster would they be EEs too? Anyone know what the clean legged one is, she has the same general build as the others.

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    No, I'm never sure about EEs...but she looks hen-like.

Cochins should always have feathered legs. There is a high possibility your clean legged hen will always have clean legged chicks. But, your birds are all hatchery stock or pet quality, so breed as you like them, and in the end you will be happiest keeping the nicest personality rooster, no matter which one he is.

If you want to see some gorgeous show birds check out post #3 in this thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=441549:drool

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by