1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochins in high demand?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Bring, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have standard/giant Cochins and I would like to hatch out some eggs from them to sell the chicks. I have a partridge roo and buff and partridge hens. I am wondering how high of a demand for this breed is there. In other words do you think they will sell and how much should I sell the chicks for? I will wait until spring to sell them.

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    depends on quality but having a buff in w/partridge would turn me off quick.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Those who would like some as pets may be interested. [​IMG] Most folks like them to be purebred (all one variety, not a mix). It's worth a try!

4. Apprentice_egger

Apprentice_egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    I would be interested in pure partridge.

5. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I don't mean to cut in, but this is exactly the kind of post I was looking for. I, too am going to be selling hatching eggs and chicks in the spring, but didn't know if there was a demand for standard size cochins or not. I will have the following:

standard sizes:
    black, blue, partridge, silver laced, barred and white

bantam:
    black mottled

Since they are all purebred and in separate breeding pens, would people be interested and what could I sell eggs/chicks for? I am mainly just wanting to make enough to pay for my "hobby". I am also NPIP registered. Does this help with selling?

I should also say that I thought I knew a lot about cochins, until I joined this website! Wow, the people on here really know their stuff! No better place to learn though!

Oh yeah, here are just a couple of pictures of my black and barred pullets (they are younger in these photos)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Bring , you shouldnt have a problem selling eggs or chicks .Some people really like mixed colored chicks. I would give it a try if i were you !

Fay

7. kennedyscochins , yes i do beleive there is a demand for certain standard size cochins.You should not have problems getting sells. I really like your barred pullet.

Fay

8. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:Thank you. She has always been my favorite (even for pet quality). She is even prettier now that she has filled out. Any ideas on what to sell eggs/chicks for?

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I used to raise Silver Laced Cochins. I'm afraid I found they weren't worth keeping for egg sales. They did not lay often, and when they did I couldn't get the eggs sold for hatching or eating (they were small and misshapen). I ended up giving them away.

10. yes i can see how she can be your favorite ,very pretty.

I sell my pet quality standard cochin chicks for $3.00 each at swaps ,they sell out fast.

I usually hatch all their eggs and do not sell their hatching eggs so not too sure what they are going for right now .

Fay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by