Cochins in the South??

FluffyChic

Songster
10 Years
Jan 2, 2010
Monroe, NC
I was reading some of the specs on the Cochins Full size, I really like them and am interested in adding some to our flock. But I saw they have trouble with temps over 90degrees. Is this correct does anyone else have them in the South. I'm in NC and we get well into the 90's in summer time. Thanks!

I don't live in the humid south like you, but it can cruise well over 100 here at times in the summer. I ran misters in the heat of the day and it seemed to give my cochins comfort. I also put ice in the waterer, which they did appreciate. No problems with heat stroke here.

I'm more south than you are even though I am in the upper part next to the mountains.

I have several flocks of Cochins and have always had Cochins in bantams and standard. It gets extremely hot here and the humidity can smother the best of us but my Cochins have always been fine. They actually complain more right now because of the wind.

Their feathers insulate them against too much heat. I put ice in their water during dangerous times. They are able to pant some and relieve any discomfort and I make sure they have plenty of air flow when they go to bed on a summer night. Fans help them stay comfortable but I don't have enough to go around. Too many pens and coops.

Hi again! I am about 15 minutes from you and I have several cochins. They do just fine! Just make sure they always have lots of fresh clean water!
Mine are banties but the same rule applies with the standards!

Just make sure they have a water source. We get upwards of 100 with humidity near 90% often. They do fine. They pant just as much as the rest of the birds in the flock!
wink.png

I agree that they do fine in the south... that being said... they are pretty unhappy.

Ours haven't died but they do suffer... Im not sure we will have the LF again because of the heat. Not sure that its fair to them. Our banties are fine in comparason.

But if you do decide to keep them in the south all of the other posts about misters, ice, lots of fresh water and shade are very helpfull.

They really are the nicest birds!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom