1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochins late starters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmomma03, Oct 19, 2015.

1. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    My cochins are 6mos old. All my other 6mo pullets are laying, but not the cochins. Their comb goes back and forth between pink and red and they really don't seem interested in the nesting boxes. When do cochins generally start laying?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep, they're late bloomers, especially if they're standard sized. My LF Cochins would usually lay somewhere around 7-8 months, but I've had more than a few that didn't give up that first egg until after the one year mark. They're not a breed for impatient chicken people :)

3. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I don't know if they're "standard" cochins or not. They were a surprise for momma's day for me, along with several other breeds. I knew I was getting chickens, but they strayed from the list I made of breeds I want. Cochins weren't on it, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my girls, they're so beautiful! This is one of my girls, I have 2 that are almost identical, Milky Way has a little more white around her neck and holds her tail differently, that's about the only way I can tell them apart lol:

[​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Well she certainly doesn't look like she's bantam sized.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Cochin are slow to start, 6-8 months, and tend to be poor layers, though they can be broody.

6. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Quote: I don't know about all the breeds and sizes yet. I have learned so much, but there's still so much to learn! I didn't own chickens until May of this year. I grew up around my grandma's but she just had plain white chickens for eggs and meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by