Cochins passing pure blood - Cocci Kills

Pics

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
I have two bantam Cochins both passing only blood. No poop.
They have been on Corid for a week.
I will get pictures when I can.
They both look and act completely fine besides the blood.
Any thoughts or advice? The night prior the female had blood spots in a watery stool. I gave her a Corid drench. The male had bern fine and did not recieve a drench.

What dose are you using of the Corid, and what form (liquid or powder)?
Pictures would help. Any possibility that they are eating something, like berries, that is making it look like blood?
I've not personally had this problem with Corid, but have read of some cases of strains becoming resistant and needing to be treated with sulfa medications, for which you will need a prescription.

Holy crap, @Cyprus ! I'm sorry - this is bad news.
I only have experience using liquid corid. I dose with 9.5 cc in a gallon of water. Nutri Drenched my girl with about .5 cc directly into her mouth. She perked right up.
I change the water daily, adding the 9.5 cc to every gallon. The bloody stool went away in a day, then the diarrhea lasted a couple more, then normal poop after that. I wish I could be of more help!

What dose are you using of the Corid, and what form (liquid or powder)?
Pictures would help. Any possibility that they are eating something, like berries, that is making it look like blood?
I've not personally had this problem with Corid, but have read of some cases of strains becoming resistant and needing to be treated with sulfa medications, for which you will need a prescription.
Liquid. 1/2 tsp per gallon.
They don't have access to grass. They don't go outside.

Correct dose for corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water (severe outbreak dose- that's what I use).
Here's the chart. I'd start over with the higher dose, and hopefully within a couple of days you will see improvement.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

Definitely retreat with the higher dose shown above. I would also probably go ahead and give them each the drench in addition, since this has been going on a while, just to get the levels up quickly. The dosage for that is here, given in addition to the medicated water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
If you don't see improvement in a couple of days, or they start to look worse, I'd consider getting a fecal to check for bacteria, just to be safe. Hopefully the higher dose will get them on the mend.

Definitely retreat with the higher dose shown above. I would also probably go ahead and give them each the drench in addition, since this has been going on a while, just to get the levels up quickly. The dosage for that is here, given in addition to the medicated water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
If you don't see improvement in a couple of days, or they start to look worse, I'd consider getting a fecal to check for bacteria, just to be safe. Hopefully the higher dose will get them on the mend.
Thank you so much. :)
Hopefully they improve.
Should I increase the dosage on the rest of my flock?

Back
Top Bottom