Cochins to eat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tumbleweed Farm, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]
    I have 4 8 month old Cochins that I'd rather not have. They are huge but most of that is feathers. Do you think they'd be ok to use for chicken soup. 1 rooster and 3 hens. Please let me know what you think. Thanks, Kathy

2. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

Please anyone--can you give me your thoughts on the Cochins, would like to butcher Sunday if worthwhile. Thanks!

3. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    They'll have more meat than a Leghorn... A chicken is a chicken... They all give chicken meat, which can be turned into chicken soup.

4. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Chicken is chicken is chicken.....well except silkies....they are just creepy!

Seriously you can process and eat these cochins. Just don't expect them to look like a grocery store bird. They will have a more pronounced breast bone and have more dark meat than white meat. They will still taste like chicken though.......

5. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]
    Thank you so much Kfacres and double A training. Will do Sunday. Make stock and save rest of meat for chicken soup.

6. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    They will make good chicken soup if you slow cook them. Also keep in mind the carcass will need 48 hours of cold rest prior to cooking or freezing. Good luck with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by