Cochin's vs Bantam Cochin's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skillswife, Mar 2, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I have decided my new favorite are the Cochin's. I just can't decide between the standard and bantam. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking the bantams at first because they are little and cute but then thought maybe the standards would be bigger and better and less likely to be scooped up by hawks and such. I am hoping to order some chicks soon and would appreciate the input. TIA![​IMG]

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Well, you could always get a few of each. I love the bantams, though, they're like little puffballs!

3. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I would vote standards, I think you still get the cute factor but in a more practicle bird.

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I have one bantam Cochin and she is the cutesy thing! She's like a round ball of feathers with feet, you can't even see her legs! That said, I also have two standards coming April. I agree with silverphoenix, get some of each!

5. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Can I keep them all together?

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup, you can. I do.

I have all sorts of bantam and LF chickens, including Cochins (some of each). They get along fine.

7. clintwilson59

clintwilson59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    i have some of each also, they get alone fine. You should also throw a frizzled one in the mix as well, they are fun to look at.

8. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I haven't had standard cochins, but the bantam cochins I have/have had are very sweet and sociable. Our bantam cochin, Honey, is a very good layer. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I love my bantam Cochins......just love them. I have a single red and then a flock of silver laced and a couple Mille Fleur trios - everyone is very, very friendly. (trip over friendly) Bantam eggs are so adorable..........fried or hard boiled, too cute devil'd eggs [​IMG]

I also have some hatchery standard size - they both are super sweet. In fact, Sylvia - my standard Silver Laced, came to live with me because she would not stop following me around at another BYC'ers home. [​IMG] Everytime I moved, I would look down and she would be at my feet again looking up at me. I was there to p/u a rooster (and my red cochin bantam) and she had asked me if I wanted a standard hen or two............finally I pointed at her and said she really must wanna come home with me.

10. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I love the Standard Cochins. But I think that the little Bantam Cochins are ADORABLE!!! I have 2 Bantam Cochin chicks in my brooder right now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by