Cochins vs Orphingtons

backyardflock1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 22, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi guys, I am debating on whether to add a second cochin or a buff orphington to my order, just wanted to hear people's opinions and experiences with these. I mainly want the temperament to be good. Which do you recommend? Thanks
smile.png

I've had both Cochins and Orpingtons (still have Orpingtons) and they are both sweethearts; friendly, calm, and gentle. My children made lap pets of both breeds. I personally slightly prefer the Orpingtons, not because of any temperament issues, but because the bare legs of the Orpingtons stay cleaner than the feathered feet and legs of the Cochins. Also, the Orpingtons are better layers. But for sweet lap pets, you can't go wrong either way. :eek:)

Thank you for sharing your experience of both breeds with me! I currently have an orphington- but she seems not to have lived up to the hype. She isn't bad or anything just not as social as some of the others. Maybe I'll add an orphington and see what it brings :) Thanks a ton!

Thank you for sharing your experience of both breeds with me! I currently have an orphington- but she seems not to have lived up to the hype. She isn't bad or anything just not as social as some of the others. Maybe I'll add an orphington and see what it brings :) Thanks a ton!

You're welcome.

I am looking into getting rid of my aggressive rooster and replacing it with a Jubilee Orpington Rooster or a Cochin rooster? Can anyone speak to the roosters of these two breeds? I'd like a protector of the flock but my 18 month old grandson loves my chickens but I can't and don't trust my current rooster around him.

I am looking into getting rid of my aggressive rooster and replacing it with a Jubilee Orpington Rooster or a Cochin rooster? Can anyone speak to the roosters of these two breeds? I'd like a protector of the flock but my 18 month old grandson loves my chickens but I can't and don't trust my current rooster around him.
i personally favor cochins. both breeds are very sweet, but cochins are always sweet...i've kept many cochin roosters and never had a mean one, though i have also kept many orpington roosters, and they can go either way. Never overly mean, but i have had some be very friendly and some be a little aggressive. Just my personal experience. Orpingtons do keep cleaner w/out the feathered legs though :) They also lay more eggs if you will be breeding. They are also better protectors...cochins are just too friendly and try to make friends with the fox, lol :)

Last edited:
I currently have a cochin rooster and an orpington rooster and an almost 2 year old :p. My cochin rooster, I have zero problems with, and he's honestly kind of a big wuss, haha. My orpington rooster on the other hand isn't aggressive but he will stand his ground. I have to really watch my toddler when he gets around the orpington roo because it makes me a little nervous. We have decided on only keeping the cochin roo mainly because of his gentle behavior and the Orp. roo is going to become dinner sometime soon ;'(

Back
Top Bottom