cochins? what colour? feathering problems?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Aug 13, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so ive just had 15 'cochins' given to me after someones incubating/hatching project ended and the kid got bored with the chicks.
    the mum estimates they're about 1 month old now? from shipped eggs..15 out of 16 hatched.

now i believe 14 are cochins, but theres one without foot feathering..any ideas what that chick is (first photo)

from the other photos can you see what colour cochins i may have? or are they all a bit mixed? also some have curvy/curly feathers...but it doesnt look like frizzle feathering..any idea whats going on with them (see the wing spread pics)

im not bothered at this stage trying to sex them but a few do scream out 'roo' already(!) am hoping a few are hens though [​IMG])

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Sorry I can't help ya with the feathing thing! but all the babies are adorable !

I love the saying, Of all the things Ive lost, I miss my mind the most! my Momma used to say that all the time and now at 50+ years Im saying it more and more all the time!!! LOL

3. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    The way your holding them, makes them like gigantic! idk either but they sure are adorable!!!

4. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I've hatched several bantam cochins with funny & ugly feathering issues going on up until about 4 months, and then gradually they've come right. None of your chicks look more ugly or abnormal than any of my chicks did. They do all look male, however, excepting the first one you are holding. The picture of the male chick taken at an angle with your hand in the picture looks like one I had called Dino-baby. He gradually feathered out mostly okay, but had a naked neck and a few naked chest patches. His sister feathered out quickly but still has a naked neck. A few of yours look like they might be mottled, and the buff ones look like they have some problems with weak shafts or barbacels on their wing feathers, but they might come right after moulting. I've not kept many of mine into adulthood, but the ones that feathered very slowly were almost always male. I'm not an expert, but you might hear from someone more knowledgeable later. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    thats a shame if they are all roo's, but there easily sellable round here so no doubt i'll find a good home for them...these arent bantys though, they're the big cochins not that it makes any difference

and yes...they are huge! if it wasnt for the baby chick fluff still being visable on some, i would think they are way older than they actually are.

theres one (an obvious roo pic 9) that stands taller than my 10 week old silkie x orp chicks!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by