Cochins/winter laying

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
Do cochins lay through the winter or do they stop when the days get short? My pullets were laying an egg about every other day, but I haven't gotten anything from them in 3 days (they're in a separate run from my layer flock).

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
2 of my MFC's are still laying, but my Splash Cochins are all moulting.
wink.png

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
They are probably molting. Mine have just started laying again after darn near 2 months. My cochins have always laid all winter. I do provide them with 14 hours of light everyday.

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
They're not molting. They were born late March. They already molted and laid for a bit in late Sept.-early Oct. but have now stopped. I assume it's the shorter days but just wanted to know if people had more input.

Hucks Hickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
9MF
Our cochin also stopped laying a couple of weeks ago. I don't think she is molting either she acts normal in every other way.
52564_dsc_0537.jpg

BookWorm243

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Franklin, NC
They will lay thru the winter they just need a light. All you need to be is a 40 watt just make sure its not a heat bulb or they will become dependant on the heat, if the power go's out for some reason they will no be use to the cold and you could loose some of your flock over night. I turn my light off at 9:00pm. It will all depend on your schedule they need about 14 hours of light a day to keep laying. All of mine are still laying great!

Hope this helps

lauriej57

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
Southwest Michigan
I have a banty buff cochin who does not lay in the winter. This will be her third winter, she didn't lay the first year at all, she was a spring chick, last winter, once the temps stayed near 30 degreees or below, she stopped for the winter, and didn't start again til the weather was consistently 50 degrees or above. We'll see what happens this year....maybe brooding some chicks will help her keep laying. Those chicks are 14 weeks old, and I've been getting one tiny egg from her every day since they were about 7 weeks old. I believe she's only missed one day of laying.

Top Bottom