Cochins/winter laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by michickenwrangler, Oct 21, 2010.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Do cochins lay through the winter or do they stop when the days get short? My pullets were laying an egg about every other day, but I haven't gotten anything from them in 3 days (they're in a separate run from my layer flock).

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    2 of my MFC's are still laying, but my Splash Cochins are all moulting. [​IMG]

3. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Anyone else?

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    They are probably molting. Mine have just started laying again after darn near 2 months. My cochins have always laid all winter. I do provide them with 14 hours of light everyday.

5. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    They're not molting. They were born late March. They already molted and laid for a bit in late Sept.-early Oct. but have now stopped. I assume it's the shorter days but just wanted to know if people had more input.

6. Hucks Hickens

Hucks Hickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    9MF
    Our cochin also stopped laying a couple of weeks ago. I don't think she is molting either she acts normal in every other way.
    [​IMG]

7. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    They will lay thru the winter they just need a light. All you need to be is a 40 watt just make sure its not a heat bulb or they will become dependant on the heat, if the power go's out for some reason they will no be use to the cold and you could loose some of your flock over night. I turn my light off at 9:00pm. It will all depend on your schedule they need about 14 hours of light a day to keep laying. All of mine are still laying great!

Hope this helps

8. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I have a banty buff cochin who does not lay in the winter. This will be her third winter, she didn't lay the first year at all, she was a spring chick, last winter, once the temps stayed near 30 degreees or below, she stopped for the winter, and didn't start again til the weather was consistently 50 degrees or above. We'll see what happens this year....maybe brooding some chicks will help her keep laying. Those chicks are 14 weeks old, and I've been getting one tiny egg from her every day since they were about 7 weeks old. I believe she's only missed one day of laying.

9. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

My bantam Cochins are still laying very well...every day. They're in a secure outdoor chicken tractor, so they only get natural light. My girls laid really well all last winter, too...in the same set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by