1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochins

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Caddy-Corner-Chick, May 14, 2011.

1. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I recently got 3 of these, and he told me they were a month old, which is wrong.. for I have two 4 week olds and they are not as feathered or as big as these.. actually I have 6 week olds that are not as big as these so my guess is they are atleast 10 weeks old or older..

Well this is of the same chick, the other one doesn't have any color to it's comb so I assume it's a pullet but this one does have coloring to the comb but it's not very pronounced.
    I know this may be a silly question but do all cochin bantams comb come in the same? I have one 6 week old red frizzle rooster and his comb is undeniable. All the other's are in question.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and just an opinion on this white one who is 6 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Just for fun, while I was taking pictures it jumped up on my hand then walked up my arm to my shoulder and sat there like a parrot.. So I think I will name this one Polly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Ugh the pictures are blurry!!! I will need to pick up some batteries for my camera tomorrow, sorry this is the best I could do with an Ipod.

3. BigZ

BigZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Idaho
    Looks like a Girl to me. [​IMG]

4. Lisa7907

Lisa7907 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    I'm thinking female as well. [​IMG]

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yep, a sweet girl. [​IMG]

6. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Sorry to redo this, I just wasn't happy with the pictures before. Polly is now the one on the left, and you can see why I am questioning her being a pullet, sitting next to the pullet (pippin) on the right.

Also the white one I am praying for a girl.

7. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Does anyone else have any opinions??

8. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Do you think both blacks and the larger white is female?

9. Reptigirl

Reptigirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Its almost looks like one black is a roo and one is a pullet. My LF cochin pullets had almost no comb until they were about 4 months old.

My Bantams on the other hand had very obvious combs at about 2 months. The roo was unmistakable at a young age.

10. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    My bantam cochin baby boys are crowing and they are about two months old. Between the red combs and the crowing contest, the little cockerels are very obviously boys now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by