cock a dodle dooooooo at 3 AM

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Russo's Roost, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    My one Plymouth Rock Barred 24 week old roo is constantly crowing, even in the dark at 3:00 AM.
    Is this normal, should I be looking for something, is there anything I can do to quiet him?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Is this a regular occurence? Or just one time. I know mine will crow at night if he is startled, but he regularly doesn't start until 5ish.

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    my brown leghorn crows all night all day at anytime and its really loud i think its normal

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Mine crows 5 times every morning at 3:30am(was 4:30 until the time change) on the dot. The only other time he crows at night is when a predator is snooping around. Then I wait for the scream from the predator after it gets into the electric fence.

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Sorry, but your boy sounds very normal. Can you darken your coop somehow or maybe can you put him in a dog crate in the garage overnight until it is a more reasonable time to crow? Unfortunately there are not many options.

6. valkerri

valkerri Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Oregon, WI
    Our roos do that quite often, as well, usually at around 4:30 a.m. My theory is this: We're near enough to a highway that when morning traffic picks up, the noise gets the boys stirring. We're in a house made with 11-inch thick concrete walls and I can still usually hear the crowing. Good thing we're in the country or we might have neighbor issues.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    My frizzle roo starts crowing at 4:30 am, religiously. Then he sets off my OEGB roos that are in the same tree as my guineas, which set off the guineas. It's quite a ruckus!

9. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    Rudy, my young roo, did this while they were in a pen in the barn. At about 22 weeks old I moved the flock to the coop about 100 ft. from the barn. Out there Rudy could hear the other area roosters and quickly adapted to their schedule; a more agreeable 5.30 am! Now I enjoy going out to drink my morning coffee and listen to each roo around us in a sort of "rooster roll call". Best part of my day! [​IMG]

Loralei

BTW: I think I would have titled this topic "Cock-a-Doodle Don't at 3 AM"![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  10. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Russo's Roost :

My one Plymouth Rock Barred 24 week old roo is constantly crowing, even in the dark at 3:00 AM.
    Is this normal, should I be looking for something, is there anything I can do to quiet him?

I have a suggestion... not sure if it will work, but can you put something above the roost or wherever he sleeps? That way he won't be able to sit up to crow... unless he is getting off the roost to crow.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by