Cock cannot stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nisha123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. nisha123

nisha123 New Egg

May 5, 2016
    I live in an apartment where I brought up my cock which is now 8 months. For the past two days it cannot stand up and is eating very less. It may have had fever yesterday. Please help. See the attached pictures.[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Was he vaccinated for Marek's?
    What type of food/treats do you feed him?
    Any signs of coughing/sneezing, respiratory issues?
    What does his poop look like?
    Any swelling of the hocks/joints?
    Is he molting or just losing his feathers - any chance he got into anything toxic/rotten?

With legs splayed like that and not being able to get up, my first thoughts would be Marek's or possibly vitamin/nutritional deficiency.

Provide him with some poultry vitamins that contains B2 (riboflavin) in his water or you can crush up a human B-Complex vitamin and add it to his feed. Try to encourage him to drink and stay hydrated. Offer him some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Edited to add:

Also you may have placed him newspaper for the photo and your floors look nice/shiny and clean[​IMG]
    Consider placing him on a rubber mat or shelf liner so when he tries to move, he has more purchase. Chickens and slick surfaces don't do well together. Check to make sure he doesn't have any leg/hip joints out of place.

Here's some info on Marek's:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by