1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

`cock eggs' part deux

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ivan3, May 17, 2007.

1. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Sometime ago I posted about one of our hens laying a`f**t'/`cock' egg. Now I know who the culprit is. Our two year old RSL hen has never laid a normal egg (rubber/shell free sporadically), so I should have suspected her all along. I found her out yesterday, and this offering is smaller than the last.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=372

Big Red (girl with issues) sports sharp spurs and crows with the roo every morning, but never in the evening - go figure. This is her catching some rays:

[​IMG]

Now, I see her disappear into the coop where I can hear the roo giving out with his come hither and lay cluck/whisper (that's him enticing one of the BSL's to nest in the winter dust bath tray - he can't get his fat self into the five gal. nesting buckets - so guess where all the eggs are being laid).

[​IMG]

When I go to rake out the coop (had already collected the other eggs) there is Big Red's offering. In the previous thread I used a ruler of sorts to show the size. This time I'm relying on Biological Scaling Assays, i.e., a pair of Ruby throated hummers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Wow, you're going to confuse that poor little hummingbird!

3. Oaknim

Oaknim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Sylvia, KS
    That's a hilarious picture. It makes me think that the male told the female to go look at what was on the feeder and she either says, "What do you think I am? An Ostrich?!" or "I'm not eating this crap!" ~ Oaknim

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Cool!
    My Brahma mix Slifer was a true Hermaphrodite with both male and female parts. She only laid one perfect baby yellow egg in the time that I had her and that was only because I gave her female hormones. Other than that she crowed, had huge spurs with an attitude to match and bright red comb and wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by