Cock Feather Thieves at Fairs - Gain from our experience

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Engteacher, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Wasn't sure where to put this, but wanted to give you who show your birds at county/state fairs a heads up. We had a cock feather thief come in to the poultry barn at our county fair and cut sickle feathers off of our cocks. Lucky for us, the championship birds were spared, but at least four birds had their tails butchered in this way.

Apparently the new hair style has made these feathers valuable enough to steal in such a way. Talk about brazen, she just opened the cage and cut them off.

Please be extra vigilant with your birds.

Sheeeeesh! If it's not one thing, it's another, huh?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That's horrible [​IMG] All for a flipping hair accessory, some people are crazy....

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, for cryin' out loud! I can't believe a person would do that! They should be arrested for petty theft! I mean, when you think about how much time and effort there is in growing a show quality chicken!

ARG!

4. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    I know! My son was on a 20 minute rant driving home and decided that fair penalty for such a crime would be to chop off her ponytail. Maybe that would teach her.

Seriously. Some people.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There cutting (stealing) them of so they can use them when they make Fly's for fly fishing.
    Someone would have to be a low life to go around stealing feathers off a bird and need to prosecuted. Some people have way too much time and money tied up in there bird just to have some moron (to put it lightly) go around stealing feathers.

Chris

6. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    **** them

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you think my molting hen feathers would have any value? I could pick them up and put them on ebay?[​IMG]

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:No, people who want them for fad feathers in the hair or to tie flies with only want the long, thin rooster sickle feathers from their necks and saddles. Hen feathers aren't of any use.

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I love that idea!

10. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    They had an article in the paper a month or so ago. A local shop can't keep the feathers that they use for fishing in stock because they are all buying them to put in their hair. It seems that more than half the people at the University here have feathers in their hair. Sorry about your poor guys feathers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by