1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cock fighting behavior in chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by L0rraine, Jun 15, 2011.

1. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Guess I'd seen this before and hadn't thought much about it. But does the 'cock fighting' posturing that goes on with chicks give any indication as to whether they will be roos or not? Or is it all just part of the 'pecking order' thing that starts shortly after they hatch?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've seen pullet chicks and cockerel chicks do the chest bump fights, but it does seem more prevalent in cockerels.

3. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    I have 6 pullets that are chest bumping at the moment. When my bo girls were younger they did that all the time.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They are establishing their pecking order. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a bunch of 10 week old chicks, 3 females and 4 males and one of the females (yes, definite female) pounds on all the boys, wins every tussle. It's not an indicator of sex in chicks. The girls are fussing with the girls, girls fussing with the guys, etc.

6. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    How about the collar of feathers? I have a 'pullet' who is eight weeks old and I swear I just saw her with a clown-collar of feathers standing up facing off against one of the boys. Does this make her a roo, or just a bold pullet?

(BTW - I enjoyed your SOP, SpeckledHen! [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. Rouen

Rouen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Adams
    My EE will lower her head and ruff her hackles up when she's excited and flying all around. She's all pullet though.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Thanks! [​IMG] They all flare their hackles, trust me. At this age, they're establishing who is in charge in their group and the girls can be pretty tough.

9. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Good to hear. *sigh* Mine happens to be an EE, too.

10. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    The most feminine, cuddly, and sweet-looking of my Faverolles is currently top pullet. She's a tough little wench. She puffs up and challenges everybody who goes near her, and across the board they all back down. One of the Brahmas gives her the biggest run for her money, but in the end the beast in cutie's clothing always wins out. It'll be interesting to see if the flock dynamic changes as the Brahmas become the largest members.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by