Cock fights! :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Louieandthecrew, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Hey,
    My cocks got into their first fight today and they are only 6 months old. One got injured pretty badly (No more back feathers for him!) What should I do? I have been planing on selling the Delaware mix rooster but he is the one that got really beat up! What do I do?!?!?!

2. Louieandthecrew

Anybody??? PLEASE?!?!

3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Seperate them NOW!

4. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Seperate them treat his injury and then get him a new home. SOmetimes they can fight to the death it is in their nature! they are only doing their job being roos. It is not fare to keep them together anymore. They are grown and need their own hen flock so seperate and find him a new place to live ASAP.

Oesdog

5. Louieandthecrew

Okay! But! I have a third rooster that hasn't been in any fights with them yet and he is my favorite. But I'm not as worried about him because he is almost a year older than them and they KNOW that he is the top rooster and they NEVER even get NEAR him. If you want to see them then I will post the link to my page in a sec. The two roos that got in a fight are Zaxbys and Maple Syrup. (Yes, I name all of my chickens [​IMG])

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Three roosters and four hens is never going to work. It is only a matter of time before the year old rooster enters the fray. Down size on the number of roosters. Your hens will appreciate it.

7. robk0220

robk0220 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Wapwallopen, PA.
    Quote:OMG I miss that restaurant! I wish we had one here…

On the actual topic:

We have 5 roos in a seperate pen, right next door to the pen with our 20 hens. 3 are salmon faverolle and 2 are buff orp. the 5 get along pretty good. minor squabbles here and there, but no real fighting whatsoever. we used to have 20 roos in the pen, but we processed 4 really mean ones about a month ago, and I have 5 more buff orps to process tomorrow, along with 5 ducks. then we have 7 salmon faverolle roos in a hut putting on weight…

8. BYC_In_Long_Beach

BYC_In_Long_Beach Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    With three roos you are going to have more fights until they kill each other! Also your hens will be stressed out and insane (not to mention barebacked) due to constant mating. One Roo to eight hens is a good ratio.

9. Louieandthecrew

When I bought the third rooster (Louie [​IMG]) about a year and four months ago I also got two roos and three hens. Since then two of those hens were killed by a hawk, and the last one was killed by a snake VERY resently. We have ganed some and lost some (besides those) but before the last of those hens died I bought Zaxbys, Maple Syrup, Flower (One of my other hens), and three others that they killed because of their small size, BUT before we put the three remaning chicks (zaxbys, maple syrup and flower) in the coop we sold two of the three original roosters that we bought so long ago. So, the point I'm trying to make is that those three roosters lived together for a year without ever hurting each other. They would get into fight of corse but there were never any bad injuries. But, those three roos were all banties and now my three roos are 1 bantie and two standerd. I AM going to sell Zaxbys as soon as I can (or kill him and eat him... if I have theguts too [​IMG]) But I REALLY don't want to sell Louie and I have to keep Maple Syrup but I DON'T want Louie to get hurt!!! What should I do???

PS. Will it... hurt my bantie hens if Maple Syrup (a standerd roo) mates them? Because he is so big and they are so small!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by