cockadoodle don't?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the simple life, Sep 26, 2008.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

At what age does the average roo start to crow?
    I have some that are 4, almost 5 months old and they do not crow. A cuckoo marans and a NH Red.\\
    Now I am not complaining since the longer they are quiet the longer I can keep them.
    On the other hand I have a Porcelain D'uccle that is 10 weeks old and has been crowing for at a month.
    I mean he is doing his full blown crow by now and he is the tiniest little thing.
    I was actually very surprised that he crowed so early, but have never had experienece with this breed so maybe its the norm.

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    It varies widely from bird to bird, with some testing out their vocal prowess when they're only days old and others waiting until they're much older, up to 6 months or so. Seldom do they wait longer than that unless there's an older, higher ranking roo around, in which case they may wisely choose to keep a low profile.

But, on average, it's fairly typical for most cockerels to crow by 16-20 weeks, and it's fairly typical for bantams to crow before larger breeds.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  3. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much for the info. I was a little confused by this and my son was driving me nuts to find out about it.

4. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Wow. I had a leghorn rooster who started crowing at 6 weeks old! And he sure was loud! [​IMG]

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    ive also heard people say if there is another rooster around allready crowing the other ones might take longer to crow, Guess it has somthing to do with "head rooster" or who crowed first.... In my case I figured that was the issue I have a bunch of 4-8 month old roosters that dont crow b/c I have 2 older roosters that do !!!

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Natalie, Stumpy crowed for the first time (that I heard) on his 16 week birthday this past Wednesday. I just hope he continues to be fairly hard to hear, I think the insulation in the coop helps deaden the sound. The neighbors who would complain are at work by the time the sun rises, and I seriously can't hear him before that. Hopefully Stumpy will stay and not become Stew [​IMG]

7. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    Are you sure they are roosters? I had two pullets everyone though were roosters until they layed eggs.

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I'm positive Stumpy is, and I'm sure Natalie's are roos, too.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have 9 roo's and 2 are 9 months old,, and they dont crow,,, the others do enough for em,,hehe [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by