Cockadoodledoo x2 *grrr*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kian, Dec 21, 2012.

1. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Well, it turns out that everyone here ( and my initial worry) was correct: I have two Cuckoo Marans roosters! I took them back to the ranch I bought them from when they were 9 weeks old ( they take roosters back. They don't refund your money, but they take them back). They did physical exams on both ( neck feathers, saddle, pelvic exams) and said both were pullets and that it *can* happen with Cuckoo Marans, and thatit *does* happen with theirs.

Fast forward 9 weeks and I've been seeing more and more male characteristics but held out hope that this guy was right. Even (smuggly) posted about it on another thread just last night.

Well this morning, one of them CROWED!!

So, yeah. I'd be happy to keep them but of course, no roosters allowed, plus now I am down 2 layers. Grrrrrrrrrrr! And the run isn't big enough for 2 roos and I don't have enough girls for two. Ugh!!

Always go with your instincts ( and BYCers)!! Lesson learned the hard way.

2. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Do you have any pics? Also, some hens can and do crow. I may be able to tell from the pics.

3. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    You are so nice!

I can't figure out how to post photos on my Nook. I have a couple photos of them in my default album on my profile and I will post some when I can get to my computer.
    :D

4. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Thank you, and the same to you too![​IMG] I will wait for you to post them.

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Are they the pictures in your default??

6. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Yes! And he crowed again this morning. So far, only in the morning, but that won't last I'm sure! :)

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    This one looks like a rooster.

[​IMG]

8. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Yup, that's my crower. The one that was physically examined and proclaimed "pullet!". I have another that looks just the same, only she/he has a more squat body, more like a full grown chicken. Same age though. I just took even more photos yesterday, I just have to get them up. But yeah, so much for the physical huh? [​IMG]

9. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Here are some of the new photos :)

[​IMG]
    Stella in the back, Enox in the front. Both of these were declared pullets, but um.... yeah....

[​IMG]
    Enox in front. Haw and Georgia in back. Ruby in front.

[​IMG]
    Stella with her boxier build. Or *his* boxier build. Whatevs...

[​IMG]
    Stella, Enox, Georgia and Haw.

And Enox, the one that has crowed the past two mornings, has what I call that "crazy rooster eye". Stella doesn't have it and hasn't crowed *yet*.

When I had them checked out, he told me that they had rounded neck and saddle feathers and that he could get two fingers between Stella's pelvic bone and almost two between Enox's. And he had his wife check too. "Definitely pullets". They've been in business 15 years so I sort of figured he knew what he was saying. He also told me that the ASOP says that there "can" be light Cuckoo Marans pullets and that he used to cull all the light ones until his wife told him to double check because some were pullets.

But um..... well see above. And like some wise BYCer said "it's a rooster until it lays an egg" [​IMG] which is what I've been going with the last few weeks. And now, the crowing. It's soft and it's only in the mornings but two mornings in a row? *sigh* [​IMG]

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    both barred ones are cockerels

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by