cockapoo stud in washington?...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by allmychickens, Mar 1, 2012.

1. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    I know not everybody agrees with breeding hybrids but we really would like to exerience that joy with our cockapoo girl who goes into heat in the next few months. We live in ellensburg washington and need to find her a baby daddy (cockapoo,poodle,or cocker) she is 20 lbs so if dad is mini poodle needs to be larger then average. I am not looking for show quality. Will pay with pick of the litter or a small amount of cash...

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good luck! Post baby pics for us after! :p

3. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Have you tried posting an ad online (craigslist etc)?

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I'm guessing here, but many will probably want to know more information, such as what the rehoming process will be and what will happen if homes can't be found for all the pups, if mom has had any sort of health screening/comes from known and healthy lines, and if the same is planned for dad, etc. before replying.

...At least...I know I like to know that sort of thing. :D

I used to walk a cockapoo as a young kid. Well, he was cockapoo and maltese....cockamaltapoo? He was super cute and friendly. I still remember him very fondly! Such a big, furry smile. XD

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    some things you will want to have done to insure the pups are healthy -

elbows and hips x-rayed and certified - elbow problems are a huge problem in poodles and other small breeds. do this on your female and the male.
    eye tests - genetic eye problems are a problem as well. cockers alone have 3 different genetic eye problems.
    brucellous test - yes, dogs can get STDs.

here are a list of the genetic issues in poodles.
    ---------------------
    Like other dogs--and humans--poodles may have health problems, some common among all dogs and some specific to the breed and even to one Poodle variety. Health tests already allow us to screen breeding stock for some of these problems (see CHIC), and today's exciting era of DNA technology is putting researchers on the fast track to find abnormal genes and develop more tests to help eradicate genetic disease. Here are some health issues of concern to Poodle owners:

Breeding "hybrids" by itself isn't as much of a problem as the fact that most breeders who do DON'T do the health testing required to make sure the pups get the healthiest start in life.

This is why people who breed responsibly are never in it for the money. X-rays for hips/elbows at my small country vet run $350. That's only one test. And no, "the vet looked at the dog and said it was healthy" doesn't cut it. Vets don't have x-ray vision to see if the hip socket is correct. Dogs can live long lives without showing symptoms - like chickens their instinct is to not show pain/weakness. Even if a dog doesn't have an eye problem, that also doesn't mean that they aren't a carrier and could pass that on to puppies.

ETA: and before anyone says "see this is why mixes are better" - a mix of a cocker and a poodle will have the potential of the diseases of BOTH breeds. There is no magic formula where a mix is immune from issues. The main reason there is less of a problem is - if you aren't testing then you don't know that it is there.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  6. Squawkbox

Dec 25, 2011
    I could be wrong, but I don't think health testing will be done on the dogs if the breeding is to take place in the next few months. [​IMG]

7. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:
    Chances are better than good that, if you place an ad seeking a stud dog on CL, it'll be flagged off. The sale or breeding of pets is on CL's prohibited items list.

8. Squawkbox

Dec 25, 2011
    Is it really? Alright, never mind about that then. :)

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Dogs dont go into heat just one time. It's every 6 months on average. Yes it takes time to do tests, but not very long. Hips need to be done once the dog is finished growing. Other tests are done any time in the dog's life.

10. Squawkbox

Dec 25, 2011
    Who said that they do?
    She said "goes into heat in the next few months" insinuating that she is planning to breed then. I doubt even if she were doing tests she would get them done before that. Let alone finding a stud at this time via the internet that is health tested. Just like many others, she just wants to breed her pet for the experience of it.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by