cockarel won't stand???!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlver2013, Aug 5, 2013.

1. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our cockeral has been sitting in one spot all day. Why? He can't walk everytime I pick him up he falls back down and when he does walk he takes wobbly babu steps. I got him to eat and drink but he just sits there like a broody hen not moving and he doesn't blink. Just sits there like chickens do when they hide when a predator is near by. Any ideas why? I felt of his joints and they seem fine. My aunt said she seen his siblings picking on him. Someone help.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is it hot? Bring him inside to monitor his condition, make sure he is eating/drinking. If he is being severely picked on,this might be part of the problem,are other chickens allowing him to eat and drink,make sure he is.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old is he, and what type of feed are you feeding him? It is possible that he has a vitamin deficiency. Or, he could be weak/tired from being picked on or because of the heat. Take him inside, give him some water with (if you have any) probiotics, vitamins, and electrolytes in it, and make sure he is eating. If you really think he's hot, mist him with water and/or put a fan in front of him.

Feel his legs for any swellings, heat, sores, or fractures. Feel his breastbone. Does it jut out a lot (in which case he's thin)? If so, worms could be a possibility. If so, you should worm him. I use a wormer known as the Worminator, which can be purchased from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584 It treats all worms, except tapeworms, has an egg withdrawal period of 24-48 hours, and is easily administered orally. The dosage for large-fowl is 2 drops, and for bantams it is 1 drop. Other wormer choices include Valbazen, SafeGuard, Ivermectin, or Wazine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by