Cockatiel might be sick :(

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by TurkeyLover22, Jul 29, 2011.

1. TurkeyLover22

TurkeyLover22 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I have had my cockatiel for about 4 years already and recently it has been sneezing uncontrollably. I am worried it might be sick and in the meantime I have given it vitamin drops into its water. Does anyone know what it might have?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Any changes? new bug spray outside? New cooking ware, new incense or perfume or bedding?

3. TurkeyLover22

Jul 13, 2011
    Quote:Not really but it could easily be that she is sensitive to something because some days she is fine and others she goes through these sneezing attacks. I also noticed her tail goes up and down when she is breathing. I will move here to different areas around the house to see if that helps and continue to give her the vitamin droplets but thanks for your help! [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Not really but it could easily be that she is sensitive to something because some days she is fine and others she goes through these sneezing attacks. I also noticed her tail goes up and down when she is breathing. I will move here to different areas around the house to see if that helps and continue to give her the vitamin droplets but thanks for your help! [​IMG]

Um... you need to get her into avet ASAP. her tail going up an down when breathng isnt a good thing.
    She needs a vet..

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Try putting her/him outside for a day and see if he/she gets any better.Do you cook with teflon?Is your bird close to where you cook?
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    If your cockatiel is displaying these symptoms, something is already seriously wrong. If you are able to, her best chances are seeing an avian veterinarian as soon as possible.

Taking her outside, etc, may just stress her further unless you know it was an airborne particulate in your house causing her problems. [​IMG]

Vitamin C drops probably won't help her, I am afraid.

7. TurkeyLover22

Jul 13, 2011
    We are planning to make her an appointment to the vet. Thanks everyone for responding.

8. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    There actually is a pretty serious disease they can catch involving sneezing. However the labored breathing worries me much more! I would definitely take her into your avian vet. Could be as simple as a diet change (she's not on seeds is she??) or it could be more serious requiring meds. Eitherway tiels don't show symptoms until they are pretty sick so get her in ASAP!

9. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Until your appointment keep her warm. Make sure she has fresh food and water she can easily access. I wouldn't take her outside. And I would prob stop the vitamin drops -assuming she is eating a healthy diet. I guess I should also explain that I'm in cali on the beach- so when I say keep her warm I'm refering to our temperature not the crazy heat wave across the other half of the country: don't overheat her and keep her out of cold drafts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by