1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockatiel question - egg laying

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by raindrop, Jul 7, 2008.

1. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    How do I get my two female cockatiels to stop laying eggs and setting? They are 7 and 9 years old, and have done this for the past 2 years, but this year it has gone on for at least a months so far. I worry about their health, getting egg-bound, etc.

I have them in a large cage with newpaper over the wire bottom. I hate to take out he newspaper since the wire is such a pain to clean, but I will if that is the only way to get them to stop.

Silly girls.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I'm having the same problem with my female...she has laid close to 30 eggs for the last few months!!...I've tried everything from moving her into another room and changing her cage toys, feeder and water around...nothing is working...so I'm just giving her extra vits in her water and hoping she stops soon!...I take the eggs and I have left some at times...nothing helps...Anyone has the right answers let me know...

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I had that issue with my female too. I never could get her to quit and I know that's a reason she died. She wasn't egg bound, but I think she just wore herself out.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Have you tried covering the cage at night? Like chickens, their egg laying is triggered somewhat by light. You might try covering the cage in the evening so that they don't get more than 12 hours of light per day.

Also, make sure they have a cuttlebone for calcium and have a high protein pellet, or if you are feeding just a seed diet, add boiled or scrambled egg as a treat, or try grinding up cat food in the blender to add to their feed for extra protein.

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:Thanks, covering the cage is a good idea.
    They eat a pellet diet, small amount of seed daily for a treat, and a cooked rice/legume/veggie mixture. I will check the calcium content and supplement as needed. The protein is okay- both have kidney disease so can't tolerate high protein diets well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by