Cockatiel question.

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by taraann81, Dec 12, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    We did a lot of research a few months ago. And decided a cockatiel was right for us. All the research I did stated that you needed to spend at least an hr with your cockatiel everyday for them to be happy. Well our boy Hedwig spends about 2- 3 hrs a day on average out of his cage with somebody in the family. This just doesn't seem to be enough for him, we are quite busy but it breaks my heart to see him clung to the front of the cage begging to be taken out as I leave for work.

So my question is should I get him a buddy?

If that would make him happy I wouldn't mind the risk that a new cockatiel will make him unfriendly with us.

I just feel guilty, I thought we could provide him with a perfect home with over 2 hrs a day out of the cage(more than double what most sites suggest is adequate)

Spending more time with him out of his cage is not a feasible option.

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. bantamsrus

bantamsrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    Cockatiels are very social birds. Hence why your bird is begging for your attention.

Getting a buddy for it is a good idea. If you go with an equally people-social bird, you can still enjoy interacting with the birds, and the birds can occupy themselves when you're not there.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When everybody in our family was working we got our cockatiel Gizmo a parakeet for a buddy. They were housed in seperate cages, right next to each other and got along great.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    If you get him a friend, just make sure you still get him out everyday. That way he will stay tame. Try to get one that is tame. Then you can get both out. They get along great together.

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:What if I get a parent raised bird? I assume this could go either way, Hedwig could become very afraid of us or the new one could see us as okay!

I just ask because the price for hand fed in my area is 120.00 where just weaned parent raised are 40.00. Could I just keep the new one in a separate cage 4 a few weeks until it became friendly?

I thought of a parakeet but Hedwig has a HUGE parrot cage and I couldn't afford another one of similar caliber and would like a bird we could keep with him and I know most other species of birds over groom cockatiels and the match doesn't usually work out well.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

My cage birds have since passed on but back when I had a cockatiel I had the same issue. So I got another 'tiel. Well they ended up fighting so that bird was rehomed and I did the same as gritsar and got a parakeet who lived in a separate cage. Worked out perfectly and I enjoyed the heck out of that little 'keet! Apparently my cockatiel girl was not interested in sharing her cage with a newcomer but she did enjoy having the parakeet living right next door.

7. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    We have had a rescued cockatiel for many years -- -- we are his *8th* home because of the ungodly screeching he did -- 'Kramer' hated being in the room with our African Grey and they were often engaged in a screaming matchand with the parrot, 'Trixie' tossing in 'Stop it!' commands along with the screeching -- it was truly awful.

Then my husband thought of moving 'Kramer's' very large cage to the den where the dogs hang out and now he sits up high and seems to really enjoy being part of the 'pack'????
    -- the only time he screeches is when the treats are being handed out and he screams to be first (and, yes, he does have the occasional tiny MilkBone treat!)

Cockatiels are clever, amusing, and very social little birds --- [​IMG]

If you can't get another bird as a companion, have you tried leaving a radio or the TV on when you are gone?

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    you should get your cockatiel a cockatiel friend.....and if you get a young one, then you handle them together. I raised cockatiels for many years, they are very social birds and have a pecking order of their own.

I have also raised Parakeets. They seem to work well in the same room, but not the same cage. I would go with the parent raised baby, & hand tame it myself. IMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by