COCKATIELS OR RED FACTOR CANARIES! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!NEED ANSWERS IN 5 MIN!!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by serama hen, Jan 1, 2013.

1. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    Hi I am having a really hard time deciding wether I want a red factor canary or lutino cockatiel I have a cockatiel who is a pearled female and the one i wanna buy is a male for 30 dollars. The canaries are beutiful and make sweet sounds. which should i get i need answers in 5min!!!! Please

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I never had canaries but i do have tiels if i were you id get a canary tiels are boring they never move or play. :)

3. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    i DONT KNOW CANARIES ARE REALLY NICE BUT MY COKCATIEL IS PLAYFUL AND CANARIES AND COCKATIEL CAN LIVE TOGETHER PLZ MORE IDEAS PLZ.

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    If each bird has plenty of room, much more so than typical Petco or Petsmart cages. I would personally go with the cockatiel, how tame is it? Having had both, finches and canaries seem best to be observed than held (there are exceptions for hand-fed canaries), much like messy fish, so you should take that into consideration as well. Tiels also live longer.

Dan

5. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    That is true but i already have a tiel my little pearl she so playful and cute.I thought maybe getting her a mate would be good but how about a canary i saw that canaries can tame easily with time and patience.

6. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    I've never had a finch or canary be as calm or as playful as a psittacine. I've seen hand-fed finches and canaries perch on people's fingers and such, but they just never showed the affection or fun behavior parrots do. Very rarely have I seen a tame non hand-fed finch or canary, well tame enough to handle. I suppose the canary is so domesticated now that it could be done, could be an interesting and learning experience for you!! Don't get me wrong, I love finches & canaries, awesome birds in the aviary, but to me, they don't have the affectionate appeal of parrots.

Dan

7. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    I guess i will get a cockatiel my mom is yelling saying how much she hate birds and this and that and she promised me if i did good on my report card with no 70s i could get a bird but they lied it like a second nature for them.So no canary [​IMG]

8. serama hen

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by