cockatiels - Sex?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by equus2, Feb 16, 2009.

1. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just in case there's a tiel expert here - I'm posting pics of 2 new pied cockatiels.....I'm fairly new at this, and sexing pieds can be difficult. Would love your opinion on what sex they are!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

IN the last pic, it looks like a male on the left and female on the right.

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I was always told females have barring on the underside of their tail feathers, specially in pieds.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    ditto the barring on the tail for females, but juveniles all have that barring, so you have to wait for adult plumage to know for sure.

5. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I was going to mention the barring too.

6. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

so, with the barring on the tailfeathers in the first pic.....is that a female?

7. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    do you know how old the birds are?? If it is over 6 months old yes. can't tell if she is just very alert, or young... been awhile since I have had cockatiels

8. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    We have a male and female cockatiel. The male is VERY vocal. The female isn't at all. I was told that was the easiest way to sex them!!!

9. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Even on pieds this will hold true. There may be some difficulty with lutino cockatiels but the cheek patch will still be dull. If both are whistling or head ducking then both are males.

10. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    but the nose and beak are a pink color which makes me think they may be too young to sex right yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by