Cockatiels with Parrotlets?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Andrew Larson, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Andrew Larson

Andrew Larson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I have a fairly large outdoot aviary. About 100 sq. feet and 7 feet high. Currently I have a pair of cockatiels and pheasants in there. Would I be able to put parrotlets in there? If not, what other birds could go with the cokcatiels? Lovebirds?

2. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    I would love to have one of those for my birds! I have heard that you have to handle those parollet a lot so they stay tame.They do seem pretty cool though!

3. Eme

Eme Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Vancouver
    I own two parrotlets (both male, one green, one pastel yellow), and from what I understand, they aren't the greatest with other species of birds (mine don't even get along with each other so far). I have heard of parrotlets attacking larger birds and they often get hurt because they don't know their own size. However, I would fear for the more passive tiel. Parrotlets have a pretty big attitudes. However, I have seen only one person keep them in an aviary setting before, but from what I have heard, they are pretty lucky. They aren't the greatest aviary bird..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know how it works if you do decide to get them

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i've seen rosellas and grasskeets in with cockatiels [​IMG]

5. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    no parrotlets in with teils, they will bully the teils like crazy!

remember p-lets are related to AMAZONS and have a zons personality, they can be real bullies...great on their own as a one on one pet, or as breeders, but most cant even keep p-lets together unless its a mated pair!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Rosellas are so colorful and beautiful. What a nice suggestion. I like a lot of the grass parakeets, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by