Cocker Spaniel Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Nov 26, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I just have an odd question. As I was watching the dog show today, I am wondering why Cocker Spaniels are shown in the sporting group in varieties instead of breed?

They had a black, ASCOB, party..I just don't understand why?

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    They in the sporting group because they are a hunting breed. I thought all sporting breeds were automatically put into that group. [​IMG]

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    No, I mean, why are cocker spaniels shown in the hunting section according to variety instead of by breed only?

For example, Labs are in the sporting group but only the dog that wins out of all the varieties is shown. (Out of black, yellow and chocolate, only the black was shown in the sporting group because it beat out the rest of the competition in it's own variety and other varieties.) Yet, the cocker spaniel was shown with all varieties in the sporting group.n Why is the cocker spaniel allowed to show all varieties instead of the winner from all varieties being shown in the group?

4. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I don't know the answer. But I do know of at least a few other breeds that are the same way. Beagles(beagles under this size and beagles over) And also bull terriers, white and colored. I am curious now too why there is an exception in some breeds.....hmmmmm.

5. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Quote:There are alot of breeds like this actually. Chihuahuas are placed into two groups based on coat length, but underneith the hair the standard is exacally the same. The bull terriers were a good example as well. Westies and scotties were/are one breed. Someone just decided to separate the colors. The belgian shepherd dogs are all one breed. Only three of the four varieties are recognized by AKC. Also the smooth and rough coated collies are slit up. You also have the three dachshunds. I don't know the actual reason they separate some and not others though. It doesn't make sense to me but I'm sure there is a reason. It may very well have to do with the fact that different colors or coat types were developed for a different purpose which makes them a different variety of the same breed. I really don't know though!

And just for clarification, there are 4 cockers. There is the English and American who look very different and the American is separated by color; Black, ASCOB (any solid color other than black) and party which is 3 colors.

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Oh yes, but I was talking about American Cockers. I can understand having two different types such as the American Cocker and the English Cocker going together in the sporting class, but having all the varieties of the same breed? Just confusing.

7. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Cockers were admitted to the AKC if I am not mistaken, by variety, and so have been shown in this manner ever since. Many years ago there were SO many black cockers that it was nearly impossible for the other varieties to ever get out of Breed.

Other breeds that are shown with different varieties in the Group include Collies, Dachshunds, Beagles, and Bull Terriers. I am sure there are others that escape me at the moment.

8. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    And I don't believe they've been allowing any variety separations for newly admitted breeds for awhile now. Some people would like to separate dachshunds further by size and coat, but in addition to disagreement within the parent club, I believe the AKC has simply said "No".

9. AnconaDuck

AnconaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    MI
    As I understand, they were admitted by variety. AKC is not letting that happen much, if at all anymore.

The seperate colors have almost, in a sense, turned into seperate types. The heads and body vary a little from each variety, not much, but a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by