Cockeral Crow has diminished...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenWing, Jul 5, 2008.

1. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I have a 22 week old cockeral. He has been crowing for about the last 6 weeks or so. He started out with the weak, raspy high pitched crow, that he devoloped into a very respectable ear splitting crow after a week or so.

Now, in the last 2 days, his crow has become sickly. It is very hoarse, and high pitched, and even sometimes almost silent. Is he just growing through it, or is something wrong with him? he seems to look/act normally otherwise...

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    He is probably fine, he will steady out soon. I have one doing the same thing, i laugh every time he crows [​IMG]

3. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Now today, his crow is nearly gone. When he starts it is just a quick squeak, and then the rest is silent, but you can see he is still crowing. ???

It is like he has laryngitis.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    look inside the beak and see if there are any odd placques. A good general poultry supplement like avicharge 2000 given on a regular basis should help ensure against any severe nutritional deficiencies.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow, there are lots of folks who wish they had roos that didn't crow... figure out what caused it and sell it!... as long as he's healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by