Cockeral doesn't crow right

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Retvi, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Retvi

Retvi In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Hmm...Well, maybe that subject name is weird, but then, so is he! He's 5-6 months and learning to crow. This is not really good, because we're not in a house...yet. Anyhoo, he crows WHENEVER he feels like it, not in the early morning: late morning, afternoon, evening, 3am...He also doesn't crow everyday. Every ~three...
    What is with this boy? Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Roosters crow all the time, not just in the morning, thats a myth. When young roos are just starting to crow they sound really bad, like their being stangled! It will get better with time! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cockerels are pretty pitiful sounding. They usually get better with age.
    My adult rooster can go for days or even weeks without crowing. Then one day something sets him off and he'll crow for a couple of days in a roo, except at night. He never crows at night.
    Crowing can be a challenge (if he hears another rooster somewhere), a brag (I'm the MAN!) or sometimes just because he's feeling good.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yeah, they seem to have the need to crow just to let everyone know they're around and on guard. If there is another rooster within ear shot--his not yours--they well crow back and forth as long as there is daylight.

5. Retvi

Retvi In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Hahaha! You're right! He DOES sound like he's being strangled! [​IMG]
    Also, he's really trying to bully around my daughter. He jumps at her and scratches her. What do you think I should do about that little issue of his? We hope we don't have to get rid of him, but...

6. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by