Cockeral having stunted growth

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Simpleman1, May 18, 2019.

1. Simpleman1

Simpleman1 Songster

Aug 31, 2018
    Kerala, India
    Hello...I think my cockeral is having a stunted growth.He's about 6 months old but seems too small for that age...also very little crowing. He's grown in a cage..I free-range him 2 days a week. I usually feed him twice a day (morning and evening). Very rarely at noon.Is it because of this feeding habbit his growth has been stunted.How often do you feed your cockeral. Is there any way I can bring him back on normal growing track as other cockerals..Does a cockeral grow after 6 months?

2. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Could you post photos of your cockerel so we can see his condition.
    Is he a bantam breed? What are you feeding?
    Some cockerels do not start crowing until 6-9 months old, and they do continue to grow until one year and then even a very tiny amount after that.
    It is best to offer food freely during daylight hours rather than having set feeding times.
    Do you have other chickens or is he alone? He might be lonely or bored and this could affect his eating and even growth.

Chickassan and Simpleman1 like this.
  3. Simpleman1

Simpleman1 Songster

Aug 31, 2018
    Kerala, India
    No, he's not a bantam breed. He's a kadaknath(closely linked to svarthona,Ayan cemani etc.)
    I fed him grower crumbles until about 5 months..Now I'm feeding him Layer feed which I bought for my pullets.He's with other 5 chickens in the cage.They are caged 5 days a week and free ranged 2 days.Can that be a reason for his stunted growth? Actually all the 6 chickens including him is too small for their age.Here's a pic of him IMG_20190331_145843_HDR.jpg Here's an another cockeral with him..with stunted comb and wattles growth IMG_20190331_145251_HDR.jpg
    Is it because they are caged their growth has been stunted? Do caged chickens need a frequent supply of feed?

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. Simpleman1

Simpleman1 Songster

Aug 31, 2018
    Kerala, India
    Hlo

5. Stepnout

Stepnout Songster

May 6, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    If you feed them only twice a day, are you feeding the enough food? My flock have access to feed and water all day. That way they regulate their food intake. I’m no chicken expert (only one year experience) but I think while they are growing they require max nutrition to attain there full potential.

6. Simpleman1

Simpleman1 Songster

Aug 31, 2018
    Kerala, India
    Cucumber? I said crumbles..:)grower crumbles..Hmm.. a all-flock feed is a good idea...but I haven't seen any such feed other than grower,layer and finisher.
    Also it's also difficult to separately feed him and cockerels as whenever I feed him my other older hens will chase him away and eat the feed..Is there anyway to integrate both the groups together?

7. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    My phone wrote that... And I don't even think it was supposed to be on your post. I removed it. It was about a chicken eating only cucumbers :lau definitely wasn't this post though

8. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

A caged chicken will be smaller than a free chicken, less chance to build muscle mass.
    They should always have food free or caged, especially true when they are growing or when hens are laying.
    The boys should still be on grower not layer, you're not getting any eggs out of them.:)

Simpleman1 and chkva like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: