Cockeral lost his girl. Now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ssbs, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    I started out with 6 bantam chick from tractor supply. Later I accumulated 7 pullets. I ended up loosing 3 of the bantams to illness and a 4th because it squeezed out of the pen and a dog got it. We had one Phoenix cockeral and a mille fleur pullet. They were inceperable. Recently we had a storm rip though that caused a tree to uproot, messing up my coop and part of my pen. I thought I had it fixed well enough.. But as of a few minutes ago Littlefoot the mill fleur is dead, thanks again to a dog. Now Heifer the cockeral is looking for his girl and crowing his head off. They were both 14 or 15 weeks old. What should I do? All my other pullets are full sized and in cliques. He's lonely and not old enough to be occupied with breeding yet. I can legally have 2 more birds but I don't know whether that is wise

2. hcurrie7

hcurrie7 Chirping

Jan 5, 2013
    How sad. I am sorry. I got mine a new one. She is alot younger...well He is 20wks and she is 10 wks. His other hen was the same age. So he was started to encourage her to nest. He tried to show the little baby. Please his heart. He is just baby sitting now. When I bring treats he will pick them up and drop them over and over and make noises to get her attention so she can get a treat too. I know he still misses Miss Meringue but I think he is happier with a little friend. Before he just paced and did not eat as much. I got her the next weekend. The poultry hatchery is a 2 hour drive. Best of luck

3. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    I may be able to find a similar age bird on craigslist.. Or would he be able to bond with guineas? I have 14 that are nearly a week and a half old.. I could give him two as friends

4. hcurrie7

hcurrie7 Chirping

Jan 5, 2013
    He is a chicken right? I do not think different kind of birds do not hang. Look at my post about segregation. My own chickens do not hang with each other if they are a different color. Seriously. Buy him a friend. You can order online. Find some others who want to start raising chickens you can go in together. Or drive to your nearest poultry farm. Seriously chickens do not live alone they are like a pack animal. You cannot get just one. They get lonely. And go crazy. It is sad to watch. I could not last a day with the crying and I made the 3 hour drive the next day. Problem solved. Happy chicken people Yeah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: