1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockeral or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heybarb, Apr 18, 2012.

1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Is this a pullet or a cockeral? This is Millie who is about 7 weeks old...

[​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'm leaning more toward pullet. What breed, do you know? I'd like to know that before saying definite.

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Looks like a cockerel. Pullets comb and wattles don't turn that red until they are ready to lay (5-6 months).

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hard to say. My pullets turned reddish at a young age. A few months before laying.

5. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Can you post a pic of the whole body, including the legs? It would really help, along with the breed of the chicken if you know what it is.

Also, Peeka, that's not always true, I have several hens that started turning red long before it was time for laying. As a matter of fact, I have 6 of them outside now, that have very red combs and wattles, they are 14 weeks, and I have another 15 out there that are also 7 weeks old, and some of them are turning red already too. To be honest, I think it all depends on the breed.

From the pic you posted already, it looks like a pullet, but like Lothiriel said, it's kind of hard to tell without knowing the breed or seeing a full body pic.

6. heybarb

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I do not know the breed for sure, s/he was in the pullet bin at TSC...possible breeds are Tetra Tints, White Leghorn, Golden Comet and something else that I've definitely ruled out...the part that worries me is this one is also the most inquisitive, the first one to try something, and s/he also seems to be the "leader" of the flock - even with 3 other definite cockerals in the mix. Now, I'm not sure if it matters but the other 3 confirmed cockerals are bantam breeds so my 4 white "pullet" chicks are definitely bigger than the other chicks.
    S/he is the white chick on the far right...any thoughts on the others are welcome as well. This is our firs time with chickens.

[​IMG]

7. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Looks like a Leghorn pullet to me. Also the one in the front looks like a Leghorn too, but the the other two look like Tetra Tints. That's just my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  8. heybarb

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina

I was thinking they were leghorns too, but was afraid to put it in writing. These two leghorns are so sweet with my son. They let him pick them up and carry them almost anywhere. It's really neat - especially when I've read about so many people saying they are so flighty! The other two are colored a little differently so I wondered about them being something different - like Tetra Tints.
    Thanks! :) And it sure does make me happy to think they might all be girls!!

9. heybarb

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Anyone else want to chime in?

10. Yoki

Yoki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    They look like Leghorn pullets to me, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by